16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Nebraska part one: the Sandhills
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Folks, I have to admit, this was a tough road trip...because of the weather. I hunted a total of 11 days in Nebraska, starting in the sandhills. By time I wrapped things up in the south central area, I had dubbed Nebraska "the land of the never sun". I wear glasses and therefore hate rain with a vengeance. Wind driven wet snow comes in a close second. During the first 10 of those 11 days, I saw the sun a total of 7 hours. That just eats away at a fellow who lives where the sun shines most of the time. With dark dreary skies, photography was often a challenge; I took very few photos during the rains and snow storms. When the sun did poke through, I took advantage. My appreciation for warm rays of sun on my face during a cold winter day has taken on an entirely new perspective.

However, there were birds in the hills and two afternoons were just dry enough for an evening campfire. I did laugh when I observed a "fire danger" sign one day that indicated "moderate fire risk". With inches of wet snow, I couldn't have started a wildfire with a drip torch.

I was hoping for some prairie chickens. I haven't bagged one in 15 years...still haven't. I did see a few, but the local biologist told me that for the most part the chickens had moved south for the winter, right where DogChaser had just been! I almost checked out the area on my way south after four days in the sandhills, but a major snowstorm was nipping at my tail and I kept my old rig and camper on the move. Next time, I will show up earlier in the season.

What I did find were sharp-tail grouse, lots of them. Most of the birds had converged on a mesa where green snowberries were still prominent. This was key. I only found birds where these were present and this place packed the most. Surrounding hills produced little or nothing at all.

The grouse flushed very wild, often at 100-300 yards ahead. Soon, the same tactics I applied to hunting snowcock seemed sensible. With Rusty at heel, we used ambush points where birds would not see our approach behind ridges and sand knobs. This worked out regularly enough that three bird limits were possible each day, but it wasn't as much fun for Rusty. I would have enjoyed tight sitting grouse more too, as I could have watched the art of him working scent. It did however, beat "bird watching" by a sizable margin.

The aforementioned campfires allowed opportunity for fresh grilled grouse and this was wonderful. Little did I realize that I would not have another evening dry enough for a fire until it was time to leave the state. I was informed that at least 9" of snow was coming the next afternoon, so Rusty and I beat feet for quail and pheasant country with me hoping for a little waterfowl action too.
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55645_512x768/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55646_512x768/] [/URL]]
[[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55647_512x768/] [/URL]]
[/[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55648_512x768/] [/URL]]

goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:58 am  Reply with quote

That one picture looks like you were just south of Halsey National Forest. The sand hills are a giant sponge. Your pics bring back great memories.
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Great season your having there Wyo , thank you for keeping us up to date , good hunting WJ.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

A few days after that storm hit, my hunting partner told me that there were over 50 prairie chickens sitting on the power lines just southwest of where we had run into them while I was out there. That was the first time I have ever shot chickens over a point. Normally by the time I get out to Nebraska in November they are spooky and you only manage passing shots.

That point got my attention, and will be a consideration when we start looking for a place to live out that way somewhere!!!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Prairie Chickens are special birds. One thing I intend to start doing with them and Sharp-tails is to start decoying them. This coming year I plan to carve up some nice decoys. Chickens and Sharpies will come join other birds, just like waterfowl do. I have watched it for years.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Make sure it is legal in those states to use a decoy for upland birds!

Great article in the SSM, one of the best I have read in years! Congrats and give Rusty a big hug for me! Keep using that LeFever double gun! i use mine every bird season, mostly on Grouse, Woodcock & Pheasant.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

A little LeFever/Ithaca eye candy

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55683_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:59 am  Reply with quote

Decoying them is legal in Nebraska, some guys have started trying it with cardboard silhouettes.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:34 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Have a good time with the decoys, would definitely be different!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers