16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Help choosing another dog
Gran16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:31 am  Reply with quote

Guess I worded this all wrong sorry for that. I’m not asking for someone to choose me a dog. Just wanted to hear about some different experiences with different dogs maybe find one I overlooked in my original search. Thought I would ask here after reading about some different ones I was interested in then start the search to find some to watch run or see in person. Sorry for the misleading post.
mtbirder
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Gran16,
Your post wasn't misleading at all.
And I think you got exactly what you requested from some, our experience with our dogs - and why we like 'em. And most wished you luck in your quest for a new bud.
Of course you have to get the chaff with the wheat.
The this dog is better than that dog, mine is the best, brag photos, etc. - all come with the territory when asking for any input (about something so personal and revered as our bird dogs) on the interweb.
Even on a site populated with such civil gentlemen as this
Laughing

Once again, good luck on a wonderful journey.
Gran16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Mtbirder
I agree, just a little clarification is all.
Again thanks for all the feedback and best wishes.

P.S nothing wrong with photos showing off the dogs with game or without that’s the best part!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Ray-citori,

Thanks for the chuckle, loved the picture of the Ryman Setter on your lap in the chair. Heston my Blue belton Ryman Setter is the same way, however some of the smaller field bred dogs are not as affectionate, it depends on each individual animal how stand offish they become.

All my Gordon and Ryman Setters have been very affectionate, and well mannered around the house.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

However the one thing my Setters must be is Grouse aggressive.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/55837_800x600/] [/URL]

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
mtbirder
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:57 am  Reply with quote

My apologies, Gran16 - maybe you were correct afterall...…...
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Gran16 wrote:
Looking for some thoughts or experiences with what dogs you guys are running. Currently I have a lab that will be 7 this coming year and she is a great hunter and friend to us. Some of the breeds we have on the list are pudelpointer English setter and maybe a Nova Scotia Toller. Not sure about pointer or another retriever anything I’m missing or should look into?

Like mtbirder I hunted on the final day of the season in MT. Windy w/wind chill in the -teens (or colder); tough day.

I'm on my second PP (I'm on the BOD of PCNA). I love them because they run big. My current boy (and previous) will "hold point" like a rock. That's great, but it's all genetics. Tracks and retrieves, such that this year (his 2nd) I didn't loose a bird. Quite an accomplishment, given my lousy shooting combined with roosters that run like the road runner with wiley coyote in pursuit.

For ruffed grouse - I'd ideally like a closer working dog. Using my GPS my boy is frequently out past 200 yds. Fine in the open, not so great (for me anyway) in the grouse woods. I hunt a variety (though I only jump shoot ducks), so, I comprimise, rather than specialize.

I'd say most important is do your homework about a breeder. Perhaps find people who have good dogs and get their advice, and/or attend a NAVDA test(s). As my buddy who runs Drathaar's says. You feed a "bad" dog as much as a good dog, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. A good dog is such a joy, a "bad" dog takes the fun out of hunting.

Enjoy the journey

duckdup
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Only one spouse? Well yes that's reasonable.
Only one dog or one gun? Oh no way!
Lots of great dogs mentioned & pictured here; take the hint...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...