16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  To Modify or Not to Modify
wahoo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:08 pm  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
Bland is a good "name" and it sounds like you got one that was used and not abused.

The funny thing about these guns is the measurements might be all "wrong" for you yet the gun "fits" you in the sense that it hits where you point. No need to fuss with the stock or the LOP if it shoots where you point.

As to the internal condition, you should assume there's old oil turned to varnish inside. A friend and I are working (almost done, really) on a Brit double of vintage similar to yours. It had a lot of old oil inside which, when removed, showed a nice, bright, clean action inside, one that works exceptionally smoothly. You should invest a couple hundred in having a good doublegun smith clean it up inside, someone who won't bugger the screws, etc. Our gun had some oil in the head of the stock which came out after a couple months' immersion in whiting (powdered marble from an artists' supply store). Easy peasy for someone who has the right tools.

Congratulations on your acquisition. If you want to talk more about particulars, pm me.

Actually, the only thing that is really off on this gun, is that someone has already buggered the pins! Pains me to gaze on those gorgeous heads abused as they were. Somebody deserved to have their fingers broken for what they did. I plan to have Glenn Baker of Woodcock Hill take it and do an internals ultrasonic cleaning, fix the LOP, and attend to the pins.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"