16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Waterproof upland pant recommendations
Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Wondering what brand has held up well for you and still be at least mostly weed and prickers proof.

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I have never had a pair of pants stay waterproof, with the exception of a pair of Gortex pants that I wear over my upland pants on wet days.

They are very thin and made specifically to be worn over another pair of pants.

I purchased them from Sportsman’s Guide.

mtbirder
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 am  Reply with quote

Wondering if you have hunted in actually waterproof pants.
If so - you know what you're asking and why - nevermind.
If not - having tried it, I hated them - got rid of 'em and now where gaiters if needed and put up with wet knees and thighs. I just wear quick drying material pants. Or when cold and snowy, I where wool.
stubshaft
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:59 am  Reply with quote

When I lived on the mainland I used a Filson tin cloth hunting bib.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Sav16,

I have both the Browning upland Gortex pants and the LL Bean Upland Gortex pants, both are water proof, and the Browning Gortex Grouse Jacket is also great and water proof.

I do not know if they are being made any more, they were expensive stuff. I love them.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Duplicate.

Last edited by Dogchaser37 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

My solution has been to take one of my old pairs of Frog Toggs Hellbender "breathable" waist high waders and cut the feet off. I love the built in crud guards that hook to my boot laces and they are pretty tough. Leaving a band of the neoprene from the stocking foot portion allows a tight secondary seal around boot tops too.

The only bad part is no pockets. I may address that later, but when it's raining I don't want water in the pockets anyway, so maybe not. I usually use them in deep cover and snow. I wear them over regular pants or sweat pants.

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 am  Reply with quote

In wet or snowy conditions, I use a Browning Gortex parka and Filson waxed single tin or double tin chaps depending on the temp and Muck boots. The combo keeps me warm and dry in nearly any condition.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:20 am  Reply with quote

I wore my Muck boots other day on a duck hunt. Very cold weather, minimal physical activity, and my socks still got damp in the things. I guess dry is a relative term. It was far better than being truly wet/ soaked. I sure would hate to hike far in hilly or mountainous terrain in the things though. They do grip really well though, unlike most "chore boots".

Last edited by WyoChukar on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

Me too with the Filson chaps.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Nasty-G,

I used the Filson for years, the new Browning Gortex has them beat all to heck, lots lighter and way more water proof.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Timn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Dans high and dry hunting chaps are the best choice. I have llbean pants and others but fir the money under 40$ the dans are great.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Filson double tin. Most people who say they are using Filson don’t know there is single tin, and double tin versions.
They are stiff, they are heavy, they wear like iron, and they are pricker proof. Mostly waterproof, but, if the temp goes over about 40 degrees, they will be sweaty on the inside. I usually wear them when it is cold, over a Union suit. If it is REALLY cold, I have a wool Filson Union suit.
Everyone has their preferences, In The early 1990s, I was guiding grouse hunters, that was the stuff that held together and worked. I’ve had people tell me they can’t wear wool, I always figured they hadn’t been cold enough.

Best,
Ted

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Ted S,

I never guide for Grouse hunting, however after training both Grouse Dogs and their owners for many years, it feels like it turns into a Grouse guiding job at times. I agree with your clothing set up and used it for years myself. The new light weight Gortex Grouse Pants and jacket by Browning eliminated my Filson set up.

The draw back is the light weight lined Browning stuff is expensive and now hard to find. Browning advised me the Gortex pants I have from them are no longer being made because of the Mfg cost. I picked up some LL Bean Gortex brush pants, they seem to be holding up pretty well, and keep the water off me all day long.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

If you can find a pair of Ventile pants they are waterproof, pricker proof and 100% cotton so they breathe. Orvis used to sell them and they were expensive, but I have never got wet in a pair and while they sometimes get wet on the outside they are never wet on the inside. Theydry out driving from one covert to the next. Amazing pants and I am glad I bought a couple of back up pairs before they stopped selling them. The other thing I like about them is they are dead quiet and don’t rustle when you walk like some man made materials.

They do have a tendency to eventually develop tears down by the boots, but they are easy to sew up although it takes some time. They sold two styles and the ones that are double layered throughout have lasted 15 years (and counting) and the ones that are only double layered from the thigh down last 5 to 7 years. I hunt 90+ days a year.

Try e-bay.

Ventile cloth was developed by Britain in WWII to keep the pilots dry/warm when they got dumped into the English Channel. It’s kind of crazy it is cotton but it is woven so tightly it repells water.

A buddy bought a pair of pants from Orvis this past fall that are advertised to be water resistant and were vey light weight and he really liked them for the grouse woods this past fall. If they got wet they dried very quickly. I also tried a pair of Orvis Missouri Breaks pants and they are fairly water resistant and dried quickly, but they are a light weight pant.

Good Hunting
Mike