16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chain reaction crash
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:26 am  Reply with quote

The other day a woman passed me, putting on her make-up! I was so startled, I nearly spilled my cereal..... Shocked
Nasty-G
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:45 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Very Happy

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 am  Reply with quote

PRONGHORNSOUTH wrote:
The other day a woman passed me, putting on her make-up! I was so startled, I nearly spilled my cereal..... Shocked

On the serious side, if you ever have the opportunity to sit, parked in a lot, close to an intersection,
watch the drivers going thru. It's really astonishing the number of people, going thru the light looking down!
We do work that involves being close to the roadside, on occasion, and really take serious thought, to the guys safety. Please slow down in construction areas, and near roadside work.
Thanks!
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:24 am  Reply with quote

I 100% agree with every bodies assertions about this texting and drive bull, but there's other causes for something like this too. Freeway pileups have been happening long before the cell phone was invented. From personal experience as someone who puts about 40K miles a year on a company car, I've found myself lulled on occasion into kind of a trance while on cruise control going 70+ down the highway. I have to be cognizant of how dangerous that can be and try my best to not get caught up in my own head stewing over problems or upcoming challenges while I speed along. Have found myself a few times arriving to a destination and wondering how I got there! Bad bad juju. Not too long ago, one afternoon I was on hwy 70W in NC, where it's a very wide open and straight section with nothing to look at on either side but forest. Traffic was very lite, maybe two or three vehicles in sight for miles in either direction. I was in the right hand lane, with another vehicle I had been following behind was about 10 car lengths ahead of me, and we traveling at the same speed. As we went along like this for maybe 10 miles or so, he just eased over to left lane. I saw a white car was in front of him and was thinking in that robot mode of thinking, that he was simply going somewhat slower, and the car ahead was just going around. I did not sense anything urgent in the move. I just continued with the expectation that I too would be moving over soon to go around this white car now in front of me, in the right lane. Then suddenly I was almost on top of that white car! He was only going about 25mph in a 70mph zone! Thank goodness I had not been following the other car so close, and had seen him change lanes when he did, or else I probably would have eat that white car, even though there was no other traffic to see for miles! It reminded me how easy it is to get too complacent on the hwy.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"