16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Would you open the chokes on a 2.5in gun?
Dongotto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2.5 inch chamber British box lock choked mod/full. I will be loading my own ammo so was thinking speeders inserts would be a great option rather than paying to have the chokes opened like I've done on 2 3/4 in guns that I load in a progressive loader and shoot a lot more of. What to you all think? Thanks

last dollar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

NO! Learn to shoot it and leave it alone,,,
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Not unless all your shooting is inside 25 yds. Once you take it out, you can't put it back in.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

last dollar wrote:
NO! Learn to shoot it and leave it alone,,,

+1

Matt
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Dongotto,

This all depend on the shooting or hunting you do most, and the Master Gun Maker you use. I would 1st try to use the new SpredR type shells in your Brit double gun, pattern it and see how the patterns work for the hunting you do most.

2nd the Barrel thickness may not allow you to open the chokes as much as you might like. If the gun was an American classic you would probably have the barrel thickness you need for choke modification, the english gun you may not have the barrel thickness to open up the chokes to where you most want.

Having Rich Painter open up several of my Pre 13 L.C. Smith double guns with 2.5 Chambers, has made them Grouse killing machines for sure. Using the SpredR loads has even made these guns better Grouse & Woodcock guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:35 am  Reply with quote

One consideration that augers against spreader loads is whether or not you shoot over dogs. I have read the concerns of others that spreader loads sometimes will shoot extreme flyers that either can or have hit dogs. Whether or not this is the result of someone shooting at birds too close to dogs or if it is actually the case or not I don't know. I sometime shoot spreaders out of the left barrel of some of my guns but I keep in mind the above caveat and govern myself accordingly. I have had three of my doubles opened up from M/F to IC/LM and am considering having another opened up from C/F to C/LM. Two of the guns are 2.5" 16 ga. and the other is a 2.75" 20 ga. I don't have chambers extended. I shoot quail and woodcock, mostly woodcock, over my dogs and if I thought shooting a blunderbus would be more efficient without injuring my dogs, I'd consider it. Wink Gil
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 am  Reply with quote

Open it up.
tramroad28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Birds or clays?

I would try spreaders in the right barrel and if successful, I would use regular loads in the left, tho I might use a bit larger shot, depending.

IF, your use for the gun on birds renders either idea impractical, remove metal with a reluctance.
That always seems wise to me re metal or wood.
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:39 am  Reply with quote

load using wads with no petals and / or chilled shot for close targets. Mod Full is great combo for 1oz loads ,Practice with the gun and learn to hit with it. You get to that point you will love the versatility.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
stubshaft
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I am in the "don't open it" camp. M/F is my favorite combination in doubles. I use fiber wad loads in the right barrel and regular loads in the left.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Gil S,

Having used SpredR shells sense they came on the market years ago, I have witnessed no flyers in the patterns, either at the test pattern station, or in the Grouse woods around my dogs. Maybe this has to due with my J.P Sauer Best German guns, & my L.C. Smith and other American made double guns I do not know.

Having heard this flyer story a few times before, I have never met a Grouse hunter who can confirm the flyer story.

This story did concern me however, I do use a lot of SpredR shells in my Grouse hunting, out of a lot of different double guns.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The Grouse in my hands in the picture below were both taken with SpredR loads, nice soft shooting shells,with a beautiful wide pattern, out of my 16 gauge L.C. Smith Silver Breech double gun. The gun is originally choked M/F for old slow buring powders of its era.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56021_800x600/] [/URL]

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Spend an afternoon or two at the pattern board before do you anything rash.

Experiment with different loads, wads, shot size, brands, etc. at various ranges. You might be pleasantly surprised...or shocked...at what you discover.

Hint -If possible, don't bother with paper targets for patterning, just bring a roller and a can of leftover house paint, and a digital camera or iPhone. And wear your oil change clothes.

B.
Dongotto
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Here she is.

http://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/68754-ch-smith-16ga-help/

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Dongotto,

Real nice old gun for the price you payed, no debt about it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

That is a really nice gun for $900. I am not a fan of opening up English barrels because they are almost always well regulated and depending on who does the work may not be so later. +1 on the fact you can’t put it back.

However, because it was sleeved you should have plenty of barrel thickness to allow you to open the chokes. Like others said go to the pattern board and see what you have first. And while you are there check the POA to make sure whoever sleeved it didn’t goof that up. Also if you decide to have it opened up, pay to have a good metalsmith do it. If you don’t know one, check out the below site. Any member of the guild should do it correctly.

www.acgg.org

Good Hunting,
Mike