16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Back in the 16ga.com saddle
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:31 am  Reply with quote

Glad you got back, Bobby! You sure run a classy outfit.
Purple16
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Glad you got back, Bobby! You sure run a classy outfit.

I really appreciate that. Thanks Dave Very Happy

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
thunderstick
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

Good to hear from you and that all is well up in S.D. I could not make it up to join you last season and looks like this season is all booked up for when you are there. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your two dogs. God Bless you and good hunting next year !

Jim Schmidt
wahoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Mr Purple16, I was very intrigued with your report on this thread. I’m much newer to this outfit than you, and have never had the opportunity to hunt upland with a dog. Ambushing dove, Walking up quail and jumping puddle ducks is the extent of my experience. I do however own a 6yo black lab that deserves a better hunting partner than me. She is quite “birdy”, and I think she would pick up the technique for flushing upland birds pretty quick if in company with another good dog showing the way. Of course the retrieval is second nature for her. We just need a little more work on direction signals. Makes me think I might actually have a chance to enjoy what you guys are doing. My doubts are that she’s already six years old and starting to gather some grey around the muzzle. Not sure how many more seasons I’ll get with her. Can’t believe it’s been that long already since I brought her home. She listens so good and wants to hunt so bad, and the nose on this dog is amazing to me.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Purple16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 am  Reply with quote

Six year old Lab isn't old. Lots of labs get some muzzle grey at 5 or 6. I personally don't hunt young dogs with older dogs thinking the younger one will learn quicker. I really like to hunt my young dogs alone so they develop their own hunt style. If your dog seems birdy and wants to hunt just get her out in the field for bird contact. You'll be surprised how quick you have a hunter.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Purple16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 am  Reply with quote

thunderstick wrote:
Good to hear from you and that all is well up in S.D. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your two dogs. God Bless you and good hunting next year !

Jim Schmidt

Thanks Jim. Good to hear from you!

wahoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Purple16 wrote:
Six year old Lab isn't old. Lots of labs get some muzzle grey at 5 or 6. I personally don't hunt young dogs with older dogs thinking the younger one will learn quicker. I really like to hunt my young dogs alone so they develop their own hunt style. If your dog seems birdy and wants to hunt just get her out in the field for bird contact. You'll be surprised how quick you have a hunter.

Would it make sense for me to just bring her along on a road trip to SD for a first time pheasant hunt for the both of us? Until she gets a first time smell of those birds, not sure how she will start. Any hunt I am likely to set up, will be an organized hunt I suspect, with folks I don't know. Don't want my dog getting in the way of the others. But we both need to get an idea of how to carry on. Would it be a better idea for me to try and find someplace public to wonder around a week or so in hopes that we jump one together and figure it together without hindering someone else's hunt?

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
WyoChukar,

Growing up with some Great Weimar's and great Ryman Setters, we often took our hunting friends as we hunted wild birds, just to introduce them to some incredible dog work.

This did not make the mothers of these boys very happy when they wanted to purchase a similar dog. Even in that era Ryman Setters and real German Weimar dogs, cost some serious money. The guys in Lancaster County all wanted a real Weimar dog to Pheasant hunt, and the boys in Potter County wanted a Ryman Setter to hunt Grouse & Woodcock.

We helped introduce a lot of men and boys in that era, into the Upland Shooting Life.

Your comment about Better gun & Great dog is fully understood here, I was very glad I did not have to live it, as many of our home town boys did.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I had a DeCoverly Ryman when I was back home on recruiting duty in Potter and Tioga Counties for grouse. Back in the early 80's they were about the only Ryman game around and most considered them the best. Did outstanding on recruiting duty there because I knew most people and they knew me and family. After 2 years because I was doing so good they moved me down to Lancaster County because they were struggling. All branches were. Duh they counted Amish and Mennonite in the target market of course they struggled. I did put Mosses in the Navy though LOL.

Were a lot of pheasants back then down there, and they don't hold like grouse. Used to drive back home to fish the freestone streams I grew up fishing. Then I met Bob Clouser in Middletown. Of the Clouser minnow fame. Bob turned me onto the limestone streams in the area and some of his favorite flies. Still use 2 of them a lot even here. After that didn't go back North much to fish. But still did for grouse.

About 15 years ago got invited to hunt SD with some other retired Navy guys. Took me awhile for them to talk me into it but once I finally did I now look forward to spending 2 weeks there with them each year. Even with the bird numbers being down it is still the greatest show on earth for upland hunting of any place I have been.

The Admiral hunts Weim's. As is befitting of any man that wears stars on his collar, after all it was General Eisenhower that is in large part responsible for bringing popularity for the Weim to the US.

Rear Admiral Hedi. All of Steve's dogs have proper German names.

Gerdie on point, Steve walking in for the flush. We had all just limited out.

There are 4 of us that are the "core". But a few others cycle though some years with us. Including 4 retired AF pilots.

Used to be another core guy, Army Green Beret that did 3 trips to Nam. He was retired LEO that worked the Combat Zone in Boston. But he passed away a few years ago of cancer. After everything he went through in life it was Agent Orange that took Kevin out. Hard to comprehend. One of the retired AF guys works for the VA and was able to help his widow with benefits, but it was too late for Kevin.

Anyhow even when bird numbers are down it is still a good year in SD.

Purple16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:02 am  Reply with quote

Interesting background and story.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:14 am  Reply with quote

wahoo wrote:
Purple16 wrote:

Would it make sense for me to just bring her along on a road trip to SD for a first time pheasant hunt for the both of us? Until she gets a first time smell of those birds, not sure how she will start. Any hunt I am likely to set up, will be an organized hunt I suspect, with folks I don't know. Don't want my dog getting in the way of the others. But we both need to get an idea of how to carry on. Would it be a better idea for me to try and find someplace public to wonder around a week or so in hopes that we jump one together and figure it together without hindering someone else's hunt?

Take her! She'll come back well on her way to being a bird dog.
Purple16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 am  Reply with quote

wahoo wrote:
Purple16 wrote:

One of my regulars now at the Bunkhouse borrowed his daughter's young lab the first time he came. It had never hunted wild birds before but he didn't own a dog so she was "better than nothing". In five days she was looking for birds and doing pretty good. He came back again last year with her and did well. He reinforced field work with some birds at a local preserve.

Even when we hunt together we most times split up in a field or location. By hunting solo you can help the dog and not piss anyone else off in the meantime. Personally I never give my dogs verbal commands in the field. I sparingly use my whistle. I use the tone on my collar. Dogs are dogs. Most people understand that.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Bobby, I share the same methods with my dogs to a tee. Birds are the best teacher, and minimal handling is needed.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Purple16 wrote:

I love watching the light bulb comes on when they finally figure it out. Can take only a few days or a week or more. Also like watching those that tell us how their dog has this title or that title and is a superstar, but never hunted in SD. Then when hundreds of pheasants get up they come unglued Very Happy

My current Toller when he was a pup and the light came on.

Best pheasant dog I have ever seen in my life was Mr. Pete, a lab. He had more than a thousand pheasant contacts by the time he was one year old. When Pete was 11 I drove John over to Mn. from the house in SD to pick a pup up from the same kennel that Pete was out of.

Yes we let the dogs on the furniture, Mr. Pete even had his own chair LOL. And he earns it by the end of the day.

Wish SD didn't have the waterfowl drawing for non residents and was like other States in that regard. Don't get drawn there is always ND for pheasants at daylight only a few miles away until 10 AM when SD opens. We are up on the ND border and hunt from Mobridge to Aberdeen and North.

Having a Duck Toller I look for where ducks have landed on a pond or pot hole in the evening when out pheasant hunting. Then about an hour before sunrise sneak up and put a flat blind of burlap on sticks near the waters edge. Go back to the truck then bring the dog back right before sunrise. I start tossing the bumper behind the blind and the ducks will work their way toward the dog. It works well.

But they will only fall for that trick one time. We normally hunt the first 2 weeks of November when most of the crops are out. Often the resident ducks are gone and the weather to the North determines if the ducks are moving South or not. Can be hit or miss. But there is almost always something flying.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron,

I believe I knew Kevin, he was in the 2nd Group for a shot time, have had an Agent Orange Heart Attack myself, very sorry to hear about Kevin, he was a good man, top shelf Green Beret Soldier. Please tell his widow I am very sorry about his passing.

Generals and Weimar Dogs, you got to love it! Us Warrant Officers like them also. Just lost my 10 year old Weimar (Gretchen) this past winter. Lonely around here now, even with 3 other bird dogs.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Me holding Gretchen when I picked her up from Gunny Bowman, long ago.
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56236_600x400/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wahoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

Purple16 wrote:
wahoo wrote:
Purple16 wrote:

One of my regulars now at the Bunkhouse borrowed his daughter's young lab the first time he came. It had never hunted wild birds before but he didn't own a dog so she was "better than nothing". In five days she was looking for birds and doing pretty good. He came back again last year with her and did well. He reinforced field work with some birds at a local preserve.

Even when we hunt together we most times split up in a field or location. By hunting solo you can help the dog and not piss anyone else off in the meantime. Personally I never give my dogs verbal commands in the field. I sparingly use my whistle. I use the tone on my collar. Dogs are dogs. Most people understand that.

Well this is starting to sound better and better! In that scenario, could probably gather a few pointers from the old hands without stepping on too many toes, and have a hoot of a time along the way.