16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  RGL - some small improvements
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Just got a box full of RGL empties from our good buddy Stack . LIKE RGL'S good enough as fact fired .They were always a P-I-T-A as to their various lengths . These newer ones I got from John are much more equal of length and have been really nice to load . They are still easily cracked and edge burned , but the most I use them is 2 reloads . The main reason I like them over my Feds is for my 11-48's . I never had great expectations for these guns till I got one . They are very tight tolerance wise . What they really DON"T like is the new 3 piece Chedd style shells . They are max sized and have to squeeze thru those guns and don't cycle well . The guns just don't like those slightly wider rims . The rems breeze thru with no troubles . (the load by the way is 14.5 Clay Dot , DR , 3/4 7.5 or 8 shot - both guns love em .) now if Rem could just make the plastic just a leetle bit better !!

old colonel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

When I bothered with RGLs I trimmed them and roll crimped them

If you want to stick with fold crimping you are already on the right track segregate them by length for uniformity and load them in lots

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 am  Reply with quote

previous lots have had much variability - leaning toward 25/8 .I trimmed them all . This batch is a little different . Almost exactly 23/4 with few shorties . Of the 100 or so I've loaded , I've put the extra washer on maybe twice for a slightly shorter case . Much more consistent than prev . I'll use these in the Rems , and use the Feds in the M12's - nice !