16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 Ga SXS ** Pictures Added**
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice gun, congratulations!

I passed in an absolute wand of a bird gun about twelve years ago, it was marked GECO. The pawn shop had it marked Spanish on the tag, and I didn’t know much about the GECO ‘brand’ at the time. At some point there may have been Spanish guns marked GECo, but this was German and most likely a Sauer from what I know now. I was shooting clays much more than birds then, and a six pound or less gun with fixed chokes seemed not to be what I was interested in at the time... times have changed.

Any how, shooting a sxs, in 16ga with double triggers, is one of life’s true pleasures. 7/8oz reloads are very nice in light guns. I load with fiber wads, to match the forcing cones and chokes of these older guns. Besides, less plastic in my life is always better... I’ve got to load up some of those paper hulls I bought a while ago.

Beware, I just bought my third prewar Sauer. Still need a hammerless sidelock though!
Chukar60
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

It is home now.
Took it down and cleaned up as best I could. it appears to have been well maintained and remains in very good shape for a 90 year old gun.
I grabbed the calipers and checked the bores. R is .657 and L is .649. That put s the barrels between SK1 & IC and LM.
I am very happy with that. That is what I was going to have them opened to if they were tighter.
This is going to make a great quail and pheasant gun for hunting over pointers.
I cannot wait to take it out. Was going to go to the ranch this weekend and shoot some Collared Doves but an employee informed me he had the flu so I have to fill in for him this weekend. DRAT!!!
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

Chukar60 wrote:
I am going to have to go through a little learning curve as I have never shot a double trigger gun before.

I've always preferred double triggers on SxS. My wife, on the other hand, wanted a single trigger 20 gauge SxS but after ongoing issues with failures to fire the second barrel she started using my double trigger 28 gauge Ugartechea. It took her about 2 boxes of cartridges to become competent with a double trigger gun. Then she sold her single trigger SxS.

She now has an Ugartechea Grade III in 16 gauge and a Grulla 217RB in 20 gauge, both with double triggers, and she never wants a single trigger SxS again. In fact she likes her double trigger SxS so much that she gave her 20 gauge Beretta 303 to her adult son.
Chukar60
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

It is home now.
Took it down and cleaned up as best I could. it appears to have been well maintained and remains in very good shape for a 90 year old gun.
I grabbed the calipers and checked the bores. R is .657 and L is .649. That put s the barrels between SK1 & IC and LM.
I am very happy with that. That is what I was going to have them opened to if they were tighter.
This is going to make a great quail and pheasant gun for hunting over pointers.
I cannot wait to take it out. Was going to go to the ranch this weekend and shoot some Collared Doves but an employee informed me he had the flu so I have to fill in for him this weekend. DRAT!!!
canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 pm  Reply with quote

Hard to go wrong with a pre war Sauer. I just was comparing the workmanship on a set of locks from a slightly Pre WWI Sauer back action sidelock with the locks from a bar action Purdey circa 1930. The Sauer is a simpler design and not an assisted opener but the workmanship was damn close. Very nice. I will be buying that Sauer.

If it fits you and you allow time to get used to the double triggers, im sure you will be very happy.

Of course, as others have mentioned, we’d love to see pics.

Last edited by canvasback on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:57 am  Reply with quote

It sounds like an excellent gun. My first 16 double was a pre-war Suhl guild gun. Light as a feather and beautifully executed. It was one of the four shotguns that I sold at a time when shotguns didn't have a hold on me as they do now. Twenty years after they were sold, I traded for one of them and bought another one back. There's no telling where the other two went after a dealer bought them. Gil
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like a fine piece German of craftsmanship. You did well!
Chukar60
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

I am looking for a photo hosting site. Tried one, jpg.com and was not able to get set up. So now I am looking at others.
I need to take pictures before it goes to my double gun guy to have him go through it muzzles to butt plate. Won’t see it again for 4-5 weeks.
I am not a gunsmith and this is my first older shotgun so I want him to go through it. It is acting like it may have auto safety. The rear trigger will fire and front won’t when you close the gun and dont touch the safety. Once the safety is engaged neither trigger will fire. I am not too sure what to make of that. Better to have it looked at buy someone competent and figure out what is going on. May just be years of built up crud.
I am looking forward to shooting it and learning the double triggers. Hoping it does not mess me up with my Superposed or Citori Superlight. One thing for certain, this gun and the way it handles has me certain to sell my 20 ga SKB 200E and use the funds for another SXS. Then to figure out whether I want one in 28, 20 or another 16.
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Imjur.com works fine for me.

Keep in mind that a light sixteen can be loaded with 7/8 or 3/4oz loads.
Purple16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

postimage.com is very easy to use as a photo host.

Hope to see some pics!

The Prussians now Germans make fine weapons.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Chukar60
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:52 am  Reply with quote

I am looking for a photo hosting site. Tried one, jpg.com and was not able to get set up. So now I am looking at others.
I need to take pictures before it goes to my double gun guy to have him go through it muzzles to butt plate. Won’t see it again for 4-5 weeks.
I am not a gunsmith and this is my first older shotgun so I want him to go through it. It is acting like it may have auto safety. The rear trigger will fire and front won’t when you close the gun and dont touch the safety. Once the safety is engaged neither trigger will fire. I am not too sure what to make of that. Better to have it looked at buy someone competent and figure out what is going on. May just be years of built up crud.
I am looking forward to shooting it and learning the double triggers. Hoping it does not mess me up with my Superposed or Citori Superlight. One thing for certain, this gun and the way it handles has me certain to sell my 20 ga SKB 200E and use the funds for another SXS. Then to figure out whether I want one in 28, 20 or another 16.
Chukar60
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

Here are some pics. Can see I am going to have to practice photographing long guns. have a bit of experience with handguns. this appears to be more challenging.[url=https://postimg.cc/9rMG66Zz] [/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/2bGZJG54] [/url]

Screws are bubba'd. goes to the shotgun wizard this week for a complete going through.
[url=https://postimg.cc/pp6DRsJC] [/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/k6qSfz7J] [/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/JybJ3MVY] [/url]

Hope somebody can tell me what these two screws in the back of the rib are there for. Another gunsmith looked at it and could not see where the rib had separated
from the barrels

[url=https://postimg.cc/fk5cgz36] [/url]

Thanks for looking! any input or opinions welcome. I am new to S
XS's and german guns.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

Wonderful,

NOW

Shoot her and shoot her, and shoot her

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

Chukar60 wrote:
Barrels were misidentified by the seller. They are actually 28 3/4” long.
This is a good thing because I learned with my 26” SKB 200E, short barrels and SXS are not a good mix for me. The SKB swings like a willow switch and I really have to think to shoot it well. Not a good ..........

The relative difference in you sensing difference in swings is much more than barrel lengths. The distribution of weight in the guns themselves and how you hold them is a much more important factors.

I have shot long barreled guns and short barreled guns and found that the center of balance in relation to the front trigger is the most important factor for me.

It appears you made a great buy. Only after a season of use will you know for sure.

skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

thunderstick/Jim

Here is a picture using jpgbox

Mike

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56595_800x600/] [/URL]