16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need some "what's it worth"advice
twopipe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Question

I have a 16 ga Ithaca 37 Featherlight which I'm thinking about listing on this site so that it get a good home. Age-wise, the serial number is 740863-2. Pretty nice shape but just does't fit me. About how much is it worth - I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance,

Roy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Before you sell it ---If it is too short--lop---have you tried a slip on pad---or too long it could be shortened
trust me
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

FWIW, I gave 215 for mine with decent wood and little blue left: it's a 1954 model. The Polychoke probably hurt it too but I grew up with the Poly and don't mind it, actually like it. With good blue I'd have gone as high as 250 or 275, just because I wanted it.

I laid the 16 directly on top of my Mod. 37 20 gauge and they seem to be dimensionally the same. It's light and points well and I can knock down clay birds as well with it as I can with any other.

Thought this gun and its price might give you a point of reference.

twopipe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

LOP is not really a problem. It's just that after years of shooting mostly old doubles with large DAH, the 2-1/2" on this once is something I just can't seem to get used to.

Roy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Twopipe, it would help if you describe the gun. Does it have a plain or ribbed barrel? What percentage of blue is left, any dings or damage to wood or metal? What type of stock and forend style? Etc.

The early Model 37 guns have the barrel individually fitted and headspaced to the receiver. The serial number is on the barrel. The later roto-forged guns are made more uniformly headspace wise and have interchangable barrels. The serial number is on the lower edge of the receiver near the trigger gaurd. These also bear a small anvil shaped cartouche stamped on the reciever and barrel to identify them as thus. This might help you ID your gun.

The roto-forged guns with a ribbed barrel bring about twice what the earlier guns bring. The DLXR models bring the most. A good clean 16 ga. DLXR is fairly rare and will bring over $500 now, about $150 more than a 12 or 20 ga. model on average.
Pedro
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Twopipe,
Recently purchased 1956 model 28" mod plain barrel, ugly diy white line pad, 90% Mod37 for $225. Paid $400+ for a new in the box ribbed model w/ tubes approx 8 years ago.

twopipe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy:

Embarassed

I should know enough to provide more information, but I didn't know enough about these to know what differences there were.

The barrel is plain, no rib, and the serial number is on the barrel. The forend is the round ribbed type and the stock is uncheckered.

Blue is about 100% and the wood has only a few small marks. The buttpad is a Noshoc, so I assume it's not original.

Roy
quinletc
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Is it factory-choked? What constriction? Poly-choke? How long is the barrel?

I shot a Model 37 as a teenager - it was my grandmother's gun - and I loved it. Dad soldit out from under me! Sad
twopipe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:19 am  Reply with quote

28", choked .013 (marked mod), and no poly choke.

Roy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Well, you probably have enough info to figure out a good asking price. Anyway sounds like it is in about fair to good shape and mechanically sound. why not post it for sale and accept offers on it. You might hear one that will ring your bell. Good luck with it.
twopipe
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your help. The gun is now advertised over on the WTB/WTS forum.