16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off topic-Parker 10 ga. questions
byrdog
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am  Reply with quote

The original lead duck load by Win was 1-5/8 #4 in paper x 2-7/8" used all card wads fold crimp. I shot a damascus Rem Often killed 2 mallards with 1 shot. I was 24 at the time, so I payed no heedence to the warning on the box about damascus barrels and mod ammo. Never had a problem though.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, that's close to what I intend to load, but not at high pressures of course. The gun would be used on the prairie for long flushing Sharptails and huns mostly. The Parkers normally have huge bores in 10 gauge, often measuring between .795 and .805, a perfect size for handling 1 1/2 oz. of shot. Certainly much better than cramming that much down a 12.

Years ago a Mr. Sherman conducted some very interesting tests, destructive tests included, with good quality damascus guns. His conclusions are very interesting. A series of articles were published in Double Gun Journal. Basically the guns are vastly stronger than is public perception. Companies like Parker originally proofed these guns to modern specs anyway.

However, the one thing to remember about damascus barrels is that rust will actually follow the seems and welds, so what might be minor in a fluid steel gun can be of much greater concern with damascus/ twist barrels. Inspection is very important. Inspection by someone with a lot of experience concerning this type of metallurgy. Fortunately, I have near my home just such a fellow. Worst case scenario? I build another barrel set. Wink

3birddogs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Go to the Parker Gun Collectors Forum and look under the ammuninition and reloading section. There is everthing you want to know about reloading for the "short" 10.
And just like this forum, there are lots of courteous and genuine folks there who will help you out.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am  Reply with quote

http://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't committed to the gun yet. There is some pitting that will have to be inspected first hand, but my "expert" looked at the photos and said that it might not be an issue and was encouraged by the pattern of the pitting. Steve hand builds black powder shotguns and has plenty of experience with damascus guns. The asking price is such that I would probably be willing to build another set of barrels if needed.

duckdup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

There is a small, declining number of usable Parker tens. They'll print more money on Monday...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/Side-By-Side-Shotguns/search?Keywords=parker&PageSize=24&Sort=13&View=2&g=300001

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, I looked at that list too. I really liked the small frame gun that weighed in at just over 7 lbs. but the stock dimensions won't work and the gun is cylinder bore. I like it, but it's just too much to spend then restock and have Briley chokes installed. One other might have worked but it weighed in at 10 lbs. The gun I will likely pick up isn't a GB gun.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

I have a W&C Scott & Sons of London 2-7/8 inch chambered damascus, hammerless duck-bill sidelocked, crystal cocking indicator, double from 1882. I shoot 1-1/8 ounce and 1-1/4 ounce loads through it. Unfortunately, perhaps, I do not have data for those loads with me right now, but they came from Sherman Bell's articles in the Double Gun Journal where he successfully developed modern smokeless powder loads that performed the same as black powder loads, both in peak pressures and muzzle velocities. I used (still use) IMR SR4756 and SR7625, which of course are not so "available" these days. Morris Baker of RST used similar loads/powders in his RST 2-7/8 inchers -- at least he did confirm that to me several years ago -- I don't know exactly what he uses now. His loads felt like mine, which doesn't tell you much, but Morris said they were intended for damascus-barreled guns, so if you want factory loads go to RST.

I used both Remington and Federal hulls -- ugly dull army green (Rem), and ugly dull brown (Fed). (RST uses the Federal hull.) I believe the peak pressures of the loads mentioned above were in the 6000 to 6500 psi neighborhood. They work great for me. For waterfowl, I use bismuth in the heavier load. I suppose that increases the pressures a bit, but I still have all my fingers (so I've got that going for me, which is nice:wink: ). I use Remington SP10 wads in the Remingtons, and in the Feds a wad from BPI they don't seem to carry anymore. I think it was a Cheddite wad. BPI sells something similar now as the PT1044.

Good luck shooting that Parker. I doubt you would ever break it with any reasonable 2-7/8 ounce load. Parkers 10's I've seen are quite stout. So is my W&C Scott & Sons. I haven't weighed mine, but I suppose it is about 8 pounds or so. It's not a bad "carry". I wish I had one of the slim English hammer 10's, though.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

I could be persuaded to put one of those Damascus Parker lifter action straight grip hammer 10's in my gun safe. I've always liked those. And, you can load those 10's down to very safe levels while still carrying plenty of payload. Lots to like about that idea.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Sniff, sniff Embarassed

Be gentle, I am ill, bronchitis

But she and I still have a thing for each other Smile
Ducks beware !!

Maine have any 10 gauge old guns??

By the way this week I have been wearing my
Hermon Skeet Club Polar '15 Survivor hat Smile

Mike

10 ga guns turn up from time to time. Even the occasional 8 ga, at our friends at Wildwood.

I'm told that, back in the day when deer hunting was a subsistence thing and poaching even more honorable, a lot of those 10 ga guns were modified to a buckshot-launching "trapper/poacher" model, i.e., their barrels shortened to allow carrying them slung while logging and such, just in case a deer popped up. And for easy concealment.

A few years back I passed on a damascus-barrelled Bonehill 10 ga hammergun. It weighed a ton and was quite loose in the lockup.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

This gun is supposed to be pretty tight and the photos do back up the claim. I am waiting on stock dimensions right now. i told the gentleman that if they are anywhere close, I will buy the gun. As long as the drop isn't so great that I can't see over the rib, I can take care of about anything else.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

It's on the way! Stock dimensions are not to my liking so I guess it's time to finally build a stock bending press. I am eager to measure and inspect the bores then proof test it. I know that sounds scary, but I would rather test it under controlled circumstances and know for sure that my regular loads will never give it reason to hurt me.

If it passes, I will be cleaning up the bores and having them chrome lined to alleviate risk of future pitting weakening a sound set of tubes. If not, I will put it away until I can sleeve a new set.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:33 am  Reply with quote

Hey Wyo, sounds like a cool shotgun, just glad I am not going to pull that trigger!!

Tom Armbrust is involved with old large bore doubles. Tom isn’t a computer guy, but he normally will respond to a letter. You might drop him a line.

Tom Armbrust
1108 May Avenue
McHenry, IL 60050

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Gun will be fired remotely. I looked into some of Armbrust's work and Sherman Bell too. Right now the obstacle is finding the data for the test loads. After that it is a matter of marking the barrels in 1" increments, recording the measurements at these locations, firing the loads, and then measuring again to check for any expansion.

Firing the gun is the tricky part. Steve Zihn uses and old tire to hold guns being tested but I don't like the idea of making the stock take that much force. After all, when a shooter fires a gun, their shoulder gives. I have two options. A cradle with generous padding behind the stock and a bungee to keep the gun from bouncing out, or a two strap pendulum rig.