16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Should I buy this gun?
jig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, but I dont think thay have the drop at face figure. That is a somewhat overlooked but very important spec according to the gunfitting books I've been reading. Plus, the drop at face could have conceivably changed since the XS was cut to fit. I can measure the DAF anyway myself, since the gun is upstairs. What I'm really interested in is the DAF of the Mod 37 and the superposed. Of course, drop at face is a very individual spec in that it will be different for every shooter -so I may be out of luck unless I go to a gun shop and figure mesure my DAF on the m37 and super. Not only that but they will have to have the exact LOP of the ones I previously owned! This mystery may go unsolved for a while.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

Jig, try this. Take your unloaded XS and mount it pointed dead at a well lit wall mirror. you will see the position of the pupil of your eye in relation to the rib. Make a note of it. For any other gun, you can do the same thing and know you are close if the eye is in the same relative position to the rib. Then you can check the gun for Point of Impact by shooting a 1/2 dozen or so shots repeatedly at a good sized piece of paper with a black 3" circle at 30 yards out of each barrel--one barrel at a time and on iits own sheet. Adjusting the POI will be easy from there. On a parallel comb you will need to adjust the comb height up or down. On a stock with some slope, adjusting the LOP will put your eye higher or lower in relation to the rib. Now you are geting the idea of how it works I'm certain.
nutcase
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

I'm certainly no expert on the value of these guns, but for the price even britgun says its worth I think the wood is a bit too rough.

jig, have you blown up the pictures as large as you can and taken a real close look?

I actually handled this gun today @ Cabela's. The dings are definitely more noticable, and the wood is much lighter than it appears in the photos.

And about that missing trigger... Smile
jig
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks nutcase. Cool that you were able to go take a gander.