16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sling on a shotgun?
Chukar60
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

When I bought my Geco / Sauer 16, it came with a spiffy flat braided leather sling that was made in Germany.
It is a nice sling and from a aesthetic stand point I guess it is kind of cool.
It came off the day I brought it home.
Then today I got to thinking about it and was wondering if this may not be a great way to tote that shotgun around when chukar hunting.
Lots of walking, hiking and sliding with just enough shooting thrown in to keep you abusing yourself.
Any members use a sling on their shotgun and if so what kind of hunting are you doing that a sling on a shotgun makes sense?
goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Four of my six 16 gauge guns have slings. I like having a free hand stumbling through the rocks and sage brush of our area. Going through gates is simpler, also.
Little Creek
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am  Reply with quote

I have a couple French guns with slings. They are really handy, as I use the guns for dog training. Even when hunting they come in handy. They do not affect my shooting, and add only little weight.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:34 am  Reply with quote

Something about a sling on a shotgun just doesn't fit.....I do use a sling when I am turkey hunting...... but really don't like it.

Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Had to put one on my old sauer and put those swizzle's to work,really like the way it looks and will come in handy hiking up and down ski runs all day.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 am  Reply with quote

Chukar60,

My late 1800's J.P. Sauer Best 16 gauge Grouse Gun has the swivels, I carry the strap in my hunting vest and use it if needed. I do not like to keep it attached to the gun all the time, it gets caught up on the dense foliage I some times Grouse hunt in.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56575_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Last year I put a well aged 3/4" leather sling that I found at an estate sale onto an old Belgian straight gripped double with 29" tubes. The sling swivels are there, might as well make use of them, and it seems to look right that swivels are being used.

The gun is only 6.4 lbs, but on some longer walks (easily 10 miles / day, many times more) on the short grass prairies I find it very handy. I must say it is a pleasurable experience on warm September days to take an easy course, gun slung over my shoulder/back, and watch the dogs do all the hard work. No need for cat like reflexive quick access to the gun in that scenario, but definitely need to have it available even during long spells with no 'action'. Once the dogs start making game, turning into scent cones, the gun comes to hand and ready for action.

The sling stayed on throughout the fall, however, I found I utilitzed it a lot less in the heavy grouse cover where a quicker response is needed, and ducking through the brush it was easier to have the gun in hand.

Ted

tramroad28
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Birdhunting varies...if a sling fits your reality, in that you will find your answer.

I had a Sauer with swivels and while I never used them, they carried no great negative.
Importantly, they were quiet and tight....noisy swivels not in use, I find annoying but so much more in a day matters than...to swivel up or not.
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:32 am  Reply with quote

I have slings on all of my scatterguns!

12ga Beretta 390, 16ga Sauer SxS, 20ga SKB 505...

For waterfowl it helps when hauling decoys, and for upland I follow my pup with the SxS or O/U actions open and slung over my shoulder until she establishes a point.

Slings are valuable in allowing you two free hands.
steve f
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 am  Reply with quote

I've got a hundred year old Miller & Val Greiss 16ga, what I would describe as mid-grade gun, that has sling swivels, and it came with a sling. I don't think the sling is original and I seldom use it, but neat to have it. I did remove the swivel under the barrels and found it is stamped with the serial number of the gun. The fact such a small part is numbered to the gun shows the care that went into making a gun back in the day.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Have started putting slings on my shotgun, not the SxS. Started when i went early Teal and Goose hunting,by wading the local rivers in SE Michigan

Use mostly the Uncle Mikes attachments for the Ithaca 16'sand grab any M1 Carbine slings I can buy at gunshows.

Used a Uncle Mikes, 12ga bands for attaching to the mag tube for my M12 16ga. [of course!]
grousepointer16
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:50 am  Reply with quote

I have slings on almost all my shotguns; And almost all my shotguns are sxs or o/u.
I hunt grouse, woodcock, hares and ducks in the thick forests of central Ontario.
Slings have never affected the shoot ability of my guns. I find a sling too handy to leave home.

old colonel
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:53 am  Reply with quote

Never thought I liked a sling upland gun until I used the retractable sling on my Manufrance. At the end of the day on the walk back to the truck it is a nice thin

Gil S
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 am  Reply with quote

To me, using a sling is like using a seat belt. I don't feel right carrying a gun without one unless I'm on dove field. Once you get used to using one, if you don't have one on a gun, you miss having it. A sling sure makes dog handling issues easier. Gil