16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sling on a shotgun?
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

My late 1800's J.P. Sauer 16 gauge best gun has the permanent swivels, I carry a strap in my vest because, it gets caught up on the foliage while I Grouse hunt. I seldom use it because walking in and out of the woods I Grouse hunt. However when it gets past legal hunting time and I need to walk more than a few miles, I have used it numerous times. Further as was noted there are many different safety uses for having the strap.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56590_800x600/] [/URL]

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:58 am  Reply with quote

Sent you a PM Dave...I think (it's in out box instead of sent box?).

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Replied to your PM.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have several guns with sling swivels, but no sling as of yet. I can see the usefulness of having during dog training and eventually on tests where you have to carry a gun.

I wonder about the sling during shooting. Little things can reallly put a shooter off mount or swing. Mostly what your used to, or not used to I guess.

I can see having one for dove hunting where walk in/out means toting decoy bag and Alps chair while minding the dog. Especially after a long hot afternoon in the field. Might have to look into the aforementioned Mikes quick swivel disconnects...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:55 am  Reply with quote

I can see the advantage in having a sling now and then, but I just can't get past the image of one of those little Tyrolean hats and lederhosen Very Happy .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
PIOBill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:59 am  Reply with quote

I bought a replacement cap that will fit my 870s with a sling stud on it. the sling has a big loop for the butt end so I don't have to drill and install studs in the stocks.

duckdup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:17 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
I can see the advantage in having a sling now and then, but I just can't get past the image of one of those little Tyrolean hats and lederhosen Very Happy .

Maybe watch the Italian hills scene from 'The Godfather' again to swap that mental image to something with a bit more street cred than lederhosen...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:26 am  Reply with quote

duckdup wrote:
fin2feather wrote:

Maybe watch the Italian hills scene from 'The Godfather' again to swap that mental image to something with a bit more street cred than lederhosen...

I tried; didn't work Very Happy

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Great. Now I have to watch The Godfather again. Thanks a lot fin2feather...
Razz Laughing Exclamation

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

This is a specific Darne sling, the French term is “bretelle”.

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56679_600x400/] [/URL]

The pin goes into a fitting in the buttstock. The leather hoop goes over the barrels. There are no sling swivels, and it is a simple matter to remove the sling. Because the hoop, which, is leather covered spring steel, is free to slide the full length of the barrels, it really doesn’t snag on brush while hunting like a typical sling that is fixed.

Two Darne guns fitted with the bretelle:

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/56680_600x400/] [/URL]

Not all Darne guns are so fitted. It is a shame, more of them are not so fitted. It is a very convenient style of sling to use for upland hunting.

I use them both, even though the 12 gauge is 6lbs 1 oz with the sling, and the 28 gauge is 5lbs, 12 ozs with it’s sling.

Best,
Ted

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 am  Reply with quote

If my double doesn't have permanent mounts or retractable sling, I use a sling from CSMC that attaches to the barrels like Ted's Darne sling does but buckles to the stock. Messing with dogs, etc., during a day's hunt, I find the sling invaluable. Gil
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:37 pm  Reply with quote

I used a sling to get my late father across a cattail slew years ago. We slung the gun over his shoulder, then he grabbed on for a piggyback ride, while I carried him. It was ungraceful, and a bit ridiculous to behold, I’m sure, but, it worked.
I also carried my Gordon Setter out of the woods a few times when he got elderly.
A sling is a handy thing.

Best,
Ted

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

I've never been keen on slings till I invented one for my BP rifle . It works slick on the rifle because of the high sights - gets out of the way when the gun is brought up . The only shotgun I can wrap this around is the plain barrel Rems with the block/bead front sight . The sling is wrapped around the barrel , over the shoulder and on the outside of the stock . When mounted , the sling drops out of the way front and back . Gun can be carried totally hands free , grabbed and sling drops clean .