16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Is Unique Powder cleaning up its act?
duckdup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone used a recently made container of Unique and if so, did it seem to be burning cleaner than usual?

I did some 16ga loading to finish off my oldest canister (15+ old) and some more with a brand new bottle. New bottle seems to leave the barrels half as sooty as the old one. So I loaded some more from a lot that is 4 years old and that was just as sooty as the oldest lot.

I also tested some 45 Colt loads side by side. All clocked the same speed range (SD) but new bottle was cleaner. Not BE-86 clean but definitely better.

So after a month of tinkering, I think Unique has been changed for the better. No I don't own stock or work for their marketing department...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
df
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot mostly two tube shotguns. And I load a lot of Unique in my 16s. I’m working on an eight pounder that’s about ten years old.
I don’t notice a lot of powder residue in my barrels. And what’s there gets blown out on next shot.
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
bbrown
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:14 am  Reply with quote

Now that you said something, yes I believe it is burning cleaner. I use it for 45acp mostly, and I have noticed that my 1911 has been not as dirty the last couple of times shooting. Between that and switching to powder coated bullets several years back, it is night and day different cleaning up after a good range session.

I actually like unique for its versatility. I don’t mind cleaning guns, and to have a single powder to shoot 9mm through 16ga with is nice.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
bbrown
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Now that you said something, yes I believe it is burning cleaner. I use it for 45acp mostly, and I have noticed that my 1911 has been not as dirty the last couple of times shooting. Between that and switching to powder coated bullets several years back, it is night and day different cleaning up after a good range session.

I actually like unique for its versatility. I don’t mind cleaning guns, and to have a single powder to shoot 9mm through 16ga with is nice.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

There is no question that Unique of 2019 is a cleaner than Unique of 1995. I used it recently in a 1 oz. load in my 1100, much better than the old product......... but it is not as clean as Universal, for the same job.

I have to say I did like the Unique load and if I needed powder and Unique was what was on the shelf, I would take it.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Unique is Unique , been around forever and does the job . Newer version somewhat better than the old . The only advantage to Unique over 20/28 is that 20/28 is denser and if you need to fill volumn , Unique may be a better fit .