16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pretty disgusted with Bass Pro Shop & Cabela's
Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

I've gotten pretty disgusted with Bass Pro Shop & Cabela's regarding their in-store inventories of shotgun ammunition.

Remington Nitro Mag loads (12 GA 2-3/4" and 20 GA 2-3/4") vanished.

16 GA loads are practically non-existent.

It seems that since Bass Pro Shop bought out Cabela's that some pencil necked geek has been deciding what ammo to stock - and that person doesn't know didley.

If your looking for non-toxic waterfowl loads, buckshot & slugs, 'some' target loads, and turkey loads - you're all set.

Other wise you're up the creek and they've been my 'go to' source for decades.

I'm beginning to wonder if the day of the Super Size Sporting Goods Store is about over.

At this point I no longer have a need to go to either of these stores - where ever they may be.

Here's hoping I can find someone on line who can satisfy my needs.
Tukudu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

Bill K wrote:
I've gotten pretty disgusted with Bass Pro Shop & Cabela's regarding their in-store inventories of shotgun ammunition.

It seems that since Bass Pro Shop bought out Cabela's that some pencil necked geek has been deciding what ammo to stock - and that person doesn't know didley.

If your looking for non-toxic waterfowl loads, buckshot & slugs, 'some' target loads, and turkey loads - you're all set.

I'm beginning to wonder if the day of the Super Size Sporting Goods Store is about over.

At this point I no longer have a need to go to either of these stores - where ever they may be.

Could not agree more. Their website navigation is terrible. I got to Rotometals for my shot. Fast delivery and good customer service. Get my powder from a reloading shop in Denver. Wads and primers from Graffs. It's not worth me driving 40 miles to find nothing.
Tukudu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Bill K wrote:

sneem
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen the same degeneration of selection since the buy-out. But it may not be a total loss. I have noticed in the past their selection of ammo drops way off after hunting season and ramps way up in the fall. They would usually run their sales and free shipping then. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bill K
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

You may be right in your assessment, And I hope that you are

Over the past weeks I've been to:

BPS, Hooksett, NH - found two boxes of 20 GA Nitro mags 3" on close out sale. I circled the store three times looking to buy something (I had a discount coupon if I bought $30 or more), wound up buying an over priced diet coke.

BPS, MD bought 4 boxes of 16 ga Remington Game loads, no Nitro Mags

Cabela's, DE - nothing

Cabela's Near Manassass VA - nothing
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 am  Reply with quote

Bass Pro and Cabela’s are a waste of time and have been for quite awhile, with the exception of Herter’s ammo I can’t think of any reason to wander into those places.

There are plenty of places to get reasonable deals on ammo and reloading supplies.

For years I have been going online and found Graf’s, Powder Valley, Recob’s, Precision Reloading, etc.

The super cheap ammo will not be found, but they still have some pretty good deals. You have to do some looking.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 am  Reply with quote

Most of the Wal Marts here (Missouri) keep a fairly good stock of Remington 16 gauge on hand. They do have the Express Long range on the shelves, but for the $18 a box price tag I'll pass !!
oldog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 am  Reply with quote

I have been using the Ammo Seek website to find sources of shotgun shells. So far all the info has been right on. Just beware that Wholesale Hunter does advertise there be sure to stay away from those crooks.

bbrown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Not to bring up a dead thread, just an update from the KC Cabelas.

Went to Cabela's after work just to browse used guns and check their 16ga ammo, and a manager walked up and ask if he could help me find anything. I said "the Old Cabelas." He laughed a little and said he knew exactly what I meant. We talked a little and he said corporate is realizing how big a mistake they made. He said revenues at the store in the last 12 months since the takeover were half what they were before. He was optimistic that they were taking notice and were talking about lost customers and the loyal Cabelas base. Said they had a meeting with the Managers of each store to voice the complaints of customers and look for solutions.

Maybe some positive news, but frankly it is probably too late.

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
df
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Glad I stocked up on Herters 16 ga few years back.
I doubt that Cabelas is salvageable.
They ought to invite 50 of their customers at each store in for a session and listen to customers and take some actions based on customer input. But I doubt that will happen.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 am  Reply with quote

For some time Cabela's has not been Cabela's. It started before Bass Pro bought them and has gotten worse recently.

We have had a store in CT about a mile and a half from my home. The place has never had the great stuff that Cabela's used to sell. It has always impressed me as a big box store where I can by the everyday stuff but not the real good stuff.

I stopped going to the East Hartford Cabela's a few years ago and haven't been there in over 3 years now.......no great loss IMHO.

I didn't stop going there because I have stopped shooting or hunting. I stopped going there when they failed to have the quality products that they used to carry. Their prices weren't all that great either sooooooo......Good Bye Cabela's.

As far as Herter's ammo goes....it's just OK, great price but IMHO nothing to cry over.

A5Mag12
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I can't tell a difference except I don't get a hardbound catalog any more.
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

A5Mag12 wrote:
I can't tell a difference except I don't get a hardbound catalog any more.

Yep! When it arrived, I would come home from work and the bride would say" your Bible came in today" ouch! That hurt.
I always liked Cabela's, back in the day. I could get my camo in tall sizes, unlike everywhere else. They also had a good selection of house branded camo.
df
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

I have several sets of Cabelas house brand hunting clothes, good stuff.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Coming back down I-35 after shooting Horse and Hunt Memorial Day weekend with a friend from Owatonna as we passed Cabela's I remarked I had never seen the parking lot so empty. He said it is that way all the time now. Seriously, it was almost totally empty.

They no longer sell a lot of things they used to.

That 40 lb. high wall cast iron griddle I will have to guard closely because it is a thing of the past, as is the blind stove. I have no reason to stop at Cabela's anymore so will not be helping fill their parking lot either.