16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Using Vectan at real savings
oldog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:36 am  Reply with quote

I am curious why I never hear of any one using Vectan powders for their target loads. I have been using the AO,GM3,Prima etc. with great results and as these powders are 100% nitrocellulose they are clean burning. One of the real advantages is the price. I have purchased Vectan from Grafs and Powder Valley for less than the pricing of 8lb jugs of other brands. I have found data on European web sites for 16ga loads where they dont specify which plastic wad to use so I have used the Gulandis and the Nobel Sports wads depending on fit and I really like the loads I have been making.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 am  Reply with quote

I have tried Vectan AS powder in my 12 gauge target loads.

It is cheaper, it does burn clean.....but it doesn't do anything any better than the powders I have been using. As many different combinations as I have tried, it does not give as consistent velocities as 700-X.

I am not going to change to save pennies on a box of ammo, when the powder doesn't perform as well as the powders I am now using.

YMMV

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

I have been using Vectan powders for a couple years. First tried some AO but it was not what I wanted for 7/8oz loads. Then tried some A1 and liked it but when I got a deal on 10 bottles of D20 at $15 ea I jumped on it and have been very happy. Still not a 7/8oz load powder but works great anyway, also loaded some 20ga skeet loads with it.
Vectan powders are less expensive and they do a great job. I will be going to Powder Valley when I am in the area next month and plan to stock up since I am down to my last bottle.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
ole_270
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:41 am  Reply with quote

Bryon, unless somethings changed, give PV a call a few days before you go, they don't like drop in customers that well. I haven't ordered in a while, but usually have them put the order on the local pick up shelf. My Daughter lives just a few miles from them and will pick it up on the way to town. Does make it harder to sneak by the wife though.
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:33 am  Reply with quote

Yes, I was planning to call them with my order as I had learned that the first time I bought from them years ago. A call in or online order for pick up is preferred. Saving the shipping and Hazmat charges makes it a better bargain.
Idea

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:33 am  Reply with quote

I've been trying to find it local. Some gunshows have some but dealers have exploded prices.
By ordering it, after hazmat their is no savings.
I have seen at gunshows 700x 8lbs over 200 dollars. I haven't found a deal on componest at vunshows for years. All monkey on a stick crap.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

Tons of info on using Vectan powders for target loads. But it's over at SGW. For 16ga, there's not as much data published or guys testing it, as well as very few folks posting about 16ga target loads to start with... At my skeet range, I'm the only guy of 40 regulars who ever shows up with a 16ga really.

Also for 16ga, the fact you could until recently purchase 1oz #8 Herters for $56 to $65 a flat, great target load, put a damper on folks messing with 16ga target loads--everyone likes to collect the hulls from a good cheap load like that!

I use A24 for 12ga 3/4oz skeet target loads. I've loaded thousands, and have hmm...18 lbs probably sitting here. Also great for 7/8oz loads. For 3/4oz, it is superior powder to all other choices I think-- better than ExtraLite and Titewad for me. Extremely clean burning, and extremely consistent to load with--best tolerances in powder charge I've measured of everything, despite being a large square flake. Additionally zero mess, as no graphite or other coatings and the large flake means no powder migration or leakage on the machine. Economical light charges for 1250 speeds, and as you know cheap to purchase. I buy from Grafs and get free shipping and low hazmat when they have deals. Additionally, the chrono results are very good with tight SD.

PS-- Oldog, what exact load are you using? As you say, component choice like wads and hulls aren't specified in euro data...your good fit and function results would be useful to know! Thx
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
Tons of info on using Vectan powders for target loads. But it's over at SGW. For 16ga, there's not as much data published or guys testing it, as well as very few folks posting about 16ga target loads to start with... At my skeet range, I'm the only guy of 40 regulars who ever shows up with a 16ga really.

Also for 16ga, the fact you could until recently purchase 1oz #8 Herters for $56 to $65 a flat, great target load, put a damper on folks messing with 16ga target loads--everyone likes to collect the hulls from a good cheap load like that!

I use A24 for 12ga 3/4oz skeet target loads. I've loaded thousands, and have hmm...18 lbs probably sitting here. Also great for 7/8oz loads. For 3/4oz, it is superior powder to all other choices I think-- better than ExtraLite and Titewad for me. Extremely clean burning, and extremely consistent to load with--best tolerances in powder charge I've measured of everything, despite being a large square flake. Additionally zero mess, as no graphite or other coatings and the large flake means no powder migration or leakage on the machine. Economical light charges for 1250 speeds, and as you know cheap to purchase. I buy from Grafs and get free shipping and low hazmat when they have deals. Additionally, the chrono results are very good with tight SD.

PS-- Oldog, what exact load are you using? As you say, component choice like wads and hulls aren't specified in euro data...your good fit and function results would be useful to know! Thx

If anything Id' find a use for the IMR clone powders, I was at Grafs retail store a few weeks ago they had 8lb jugs of IMR Blue and IMR Unequal for $119.99. I asked what the deal was and if it wasn't selling, got the usual throat clearing an Hrmph when you think somebody is lying to you and they said Oh No that's an unadvertised special for our walk in customers?????
In any event I don't shoot as much as I used to or I would have come home with a lot powder that day.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:

Dave, i wrnt on vecten web site and found several loads for 16 ga. I just haven't been able to find it local. Say within 100 miles.

Ive had the same problem.

Last edited by Hammer bill on Sun May 19, 2019 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:07 am  Reply with quote

That is one of the issues with Vectan. You can get it at Graf's or Powder Valley. I have not seen it advertised anywhere else.