16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  If You Could Go Back In Time
John Singer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Dave, pretty sure you busted the budget of $250...even in pre 13 terms. An hour ago I did bring home something from your favorite era...more on that later, I'm going to go bust clays now!

Kevin Costner? Highway Men? Never seen it.

Highway Men has been showing recently on Netflix. Costner plays Frank Hamer, a retired Texas Ranger who hunted down Bonnie and Clyde.

In one scene, Costner's character walks into a hardware store/gun shop and purchases an entire arsenal including a Colt Monitor Automatic Rifle.

wahoo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 am  Reply with quote

I gotta look that movie up and watch it. How much did he give for the monitor? Bonnie & Clyde were a few years later than 1932 I think. I imagine pricing didn’t climb much in two years back then. From what I can tell, the dollar bought significantly more in the early years of the Great Depression than it did in 1920!

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Bill K
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:47 am  Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of old style shotgun ammo - even when it was new it wasn't anywhere near as good as what we got now.

(when I was a kid just staring out in hunting & shooting I was on the receiving end of a lot of hand-me-down stuff. About the only thing good I remember about paper shotgun hulls - was you could cut slits in an empty hull and sort of flower it out and then set fire to the cardboard which made for a pretty good hand warmer while sitting in a cold wet duck blind. I also recall occasional duds - which were an accepted part of shooting back then. Also paper hulls would swell when wet and make them impossible to chamber)

Now if I were standing in the hypothetical hardware store at the ammo counter I'd spin about on my heels and see what they had sitting in the rack. 16 GA guns were pretty popular back then and I can well envision a Savage Fox SXS, with a straight English stock and 26" barrels bored IC & Mod - I had one I owned one for a while, kinds sorry I sold it.
steve f
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

What was the list price on a Parker DHE in the early '30s? I'm not a big Parker fan, but a 16ga DHE with 30" barrels on a #1 frame might be worth throwing in the way-back machine for the return trip.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:04 am  Reply with quote

steve f,

I have no idea what the Parker DHE 28 gauge cost my Grandfather when he special ordered it for my Grandmother, and in reality I was to young to care. I was so glad to have a double gun that actually fit me when I was that young, that cost conversations never came up. Unfortunately all the paper work on the gun was destroyed with the gun, in the fire that completely destroyed the farm house.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Model 12 in 16 gauge.

Kind of an oddball request.....but I would like a new Hunter Arms Fulton 16 ga. 28" barrels choke I/C & Mod.

Not sure about the choking, but Steve Barnett's has one of those right now and it's in decent shape. Not expensive either.

hayseed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:

Kind of an oddball request.....but I would like a new Hunter Arms Fulton 16 ga. 28" barrels choke I/C & Mod.

Not odd to me. I obtained a 16 gauge Hunter Arms Hunter Special from a member here choked I/C and Mod. Only difference is mine has 26 inch barrels. I know it’s not a Parker or L C Smith but I love it and shoot it better than any SxS I’ve ever shot. Clay birds just seem to break at the sound of the shot. We will see if it has the same effect on South Dakota pheasants this fall.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hayseed,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a Hunter Special, they are a nice inexpensive Box Lock double gun. Many men owned them and loved them, as you are finding out the gun shoots where you point it..

Now you have to understand John Hunter Sr. did not really want Hunter Arms producing a Box Lock double gun. However after giving certain employees permission to use the Brown Rotary Bolt in a couple other companies where they also worked, he finally gave in and let some of his own employees make the Hunter Special Box Lock. However they had to keep it inexpensive and simple. The oldest Hunter Brother was given permission to use a modified Brown Rotary bolt on some of the 1st Ithaca double guns, he was part owner of the Ithaca Gun Company at its inception. Both Ithaca and the Fox guns were Box Lock and the Hunter Arms employees wanted to at least make a simple Box Lock Hunter Arms double gun. John Hunter Sr advised the employees that making this Box Lock would damage the sales of the Field Grade L.C. Smith. In reality nobody can actually prove that the Hunter Special ever had any adverse effect on L.C. Smith Gun sales.

Enjoy your Hunter Special, not a thing wrong with those guns, lots of people who could not afford the L.C. Smith Field Grade gun purchased and hunted with them and handed them down thru their families for generations.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers