16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New to Forum
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Unless you are well versed in these guns and want to have one a Flues is not a great choice. There are several design weaknesses that tend to crop up most noatbly frames cracking at the junction of the breech face and water table as well as binding and shearing off of the cocking rods.

The New Ithaca Design, NID got it's name because the Flues models problems were so well known that Ithaca had to divorce themselves every way they could from the prior model.

If you find a great one and it's cheap and you have a ready source of honest to gof low pressure loads it can be fun.

Emil Flues is buried in Midland Michigan, spending eternity down wind from the Union Carbide plant.... Rolling Eyes

Jeff
txshootist
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff,

Yeh, I passed on the Flues and opted for a Lefever Nitro Special. It is totally original and unaltered. I'm sure I won't shoot anything but light loads in it. Still a lot to learn about classic doubles and this forum seems like a good place to learn. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. The bbls are stamped 2 and 4. Is that modified and full or modified and cylinder?

Thanks again,
Marc
twopipe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

txshootist:

Smile Welcome aboard. First let me say that my opinion is not objective! I shoot Nitro Specials more than anything else. Me, as well as my whole family, use them as grouse guns almost exclusively. My favorite is a 26" barrelled 16 ga with a single trigger. The second most used one is the same configuration with double triggers. I also use Nitros in 12, 20 and 410.

The are extremely durable guns and handle well. I carry a Lefever (Syracuse) when pheasant hunting, but use the Nitros in the briars when chasing grouse. IMHO, the Nitros are the best bang for the buck in today's market.

Roy