16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite 16 gauge Bird Guns
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

As Grouse hunters a lot of us have 16 gauge guns that we have used for more than a few years. In fact many of these guns have been passed down from generation to generation.

Show me some pictures of your prize 16 gauge bird guns, explain where the gun/guns came from, and how long you have been using it/them.

Have you ever shot a true double with your 16 gauge bird gun.

Were you ever lucky enough to have a mixed true double come up in front of your 16 gauge gun, and were you able to actually shoot it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

2 Great 16 Gauge Bird Guns, Ken's modern Repro Parker on top with two sets of Barrels, one 16 and one 20 gauge on a 20 gauge frame, a simply beautiful gun.
Below a 1913 L.C. Smith Special Order 16 gauge Silver Breech bird gun, another beautiful gun.

I have been lucky to have had 2 different true mixed doubles come up in front of my Silver Breech 16 gauge double gun, one Woodcock/Grouse mixed double, I missed the Grouse and killed the Woodcock, the other I killed both the Woodcock and the Grouse. One of my life's most memorable gunning experiences for sure.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
wahoo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am  Reply with quote

I’ve killed two squirrels with one shot of my Remy 1100. Don’t really know how it happened exactly cause I only saw one of the two out on the limb, but found two dead squirrels laying next to each other. Both my two 16ga sxs doubles are my current favorite grouse guns. Will post pics asap. Of course that might change if I ever get to grouse hunt! Never even had the occasion to see one accept one time I spotted one feeding past me under the deer stand I was in. I think she was lost.

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

wahoo,

I have no idea just where you happen to be located, if you live in the Pa or surrounding states, I can sure make your Grouse hunting experience come true.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

wahoo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thx Dave,PM sent.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:01 pm  Reply with quote

wahoo,

PM answered, e-mail me at Pine-Creek@live.com or call the number I gave you in the PM when you have time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:32 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
wahoo,

I have no idea just where you happen to be located, if you live in the Pa or surrounding states, I can sure make your Grouse hunting experience come true.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Wahoo,
Jump on that with both feet! Very Happy
wahoo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Let's see if I got this imgur site right for posting pics:

The BRNO 16ga sidelock is the top of the two below. Nice lightweight gun @ 6lbs couple oz. Bottom one is same model in 12ga. That one is about 6.67 lbs. So far have only taken the 16ga on dove hunts, which have been a lot of fun.

The 16ga T Bland is my newest addition. Still have to get the stock LOP corrected, then she will be ready to go. The way this one comes up and balances is marvelous.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

wahoo,

Real nice guns, bring them along for Grouse season here in Pa, when you visit. I love the 16's!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

I'll nearly always have a 16ga sxs over my arm when I go afield; usually it'll be a Fox, either my Sterlingworth Ejector...

or my A grade...

but I do have a few other guns that deserve to get out as well, so a couple years ago I happened to be toting my Parker Trojan...

and I managed to get my first true double on Ringneck pheasants. I even have my Parker Doubles Club pin and citation to show for it!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Here is my composed pair of 16 bore Army & Navy guns that it took me a long time to find. Part of the problem was I wanted a tighter bore #2 gun and the other part of the problem is that it is getting tough to find 16 bore Army & Navy shotguns and even harder to find ones in nice condition.

I have a handful of 12’s and 20’s and they mostly sit in the gun case. One of them is a small frame 20 ga with a relatively short lop that I am saving for the grandkids to learn on. It is the same SxS my sons started on. My grandkids will be the 5th generation of my family to hunt with SxS shotguns so it has become a tradition. Every generation has hunted with a 16 ga, but not exclusively. My Grandfathers guns were lost when he passed away unexpectedly and he had left his collection at a gunsmith for cleaning and my Dad never found them.

The original 16 Army & Navy that I have had for close to 20 years (a 1904 back action SLNE). I have shot only one double on grouse with this gun and numerous doubles on pheasant, but all there is around a pheasant is blue sky. This particular photo is of the 1st grouse shot over my friends English Setter andI had the pleasure of dropping this bird for him. His dog is a sibling of one of my dogs.

This is the #2 16 Army & Navy (a 1907 bar action SLE) and I found it a few years ago. It took me 15+ years to find it and it has much original condition. I had the barrels blacked and I am currently having a new stock made for the gun. The existing stock fits my youngest son like a glove so I didn’t want to mess with it and I wanted the gun to have the same dimensions as #1.. I will save that stock for him. I have two sons so each son gets one of the guns.

Good Hunting,
Mike
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago,

Mike great story, love the old Army & Navy double guns for sure. Glad you finally found the guns you wanted. The loss of your Fathers guns really stinks, the Gun Smith who was cleaning them should have contacted you, some are ruthless people however.

Like you I looked for many years for a certain Hammer Gun, I finally found it by mistake after 20 plus years of looking. These gun forums area actually good for something.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man