16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  CZ Sharp Tail
LenNelly
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

I’m looking for a newer 16 with exchangeable chokes and wondering about the CZ Sharp Tail. Is this a viable gun? I will appreciate all opinions. Thanks.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I've got Huglu's in 16 ga Bobwhite and a couple of 16 ga Ringnecks, but passed on the Sharptail when I learned it was built on a 12 ga frame rather than a scaled frame like the former guns. That said, the Sharptail design is significantly different than the previous models that should result in a gun weighing less than the Ringneck and Bobwhite, however not as light as the 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 pound 16 ga SXS's I like to hunt with. The comments I've read from Sharptail owners have been mostly favorable.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

The 16 ga. sharp tail does not come with interchangeable choke tubes. It is fixed IC and Mod. But I can live with that and ordered one a month ago through the CZ LEO\Military discount program. Got an email Tuesday that it is "ready to wave" in their system and should be shipping soon.

I went through the same thing as you and didn't find much on the 16 ga. sharp tail. But like Riflemeister said those that have the other gauges seem pleased with them. I will be using mine for mainly SC so extra weight would be good for my use. Shot sporting clays today with my 6 lb. FAIR using 1 oz. loads and now I remember why I normally load 7/8 oz for it. After I've had the sharp tail for awhile will give my thoughts on it.
LenNelly
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting info guys. I hadn't read about the 16 using a 12 frame. 7.3 lbs is a tad heavy!! Also i read that the Sharp Tail came with 5 chokes but looking back, the specific article (https://projectupland.com/bird-hunting-gear/cz-sharp-tail-a-shotgun-review/) was written about a 20 guage. It’s a bit odd to change features per gauge but if they aren’t fully committed to 16 ga they would want to avoid the cost of manufacturing the chokes. I’ll look forward to your feedback, cold iron.

Thanks.
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:16 am  Reply with quote

I bought a Sharptail in 28 gauge and really liked it way more than my Ringneck. The new triggers and springs were a major improvement. That being said, I also wanted screw in chokes in my 16 gauge SxS and after having an unpleasant experience with the Dickinson Custom Shop, purchased a Rizzini from John Boyd of Quality Arms in Houston and love it. 16 gauge, single trigger with screw in chokes.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:27 am  Reply with quote

LenNelly wrote:
Interesting info guys. I hadn't read about the 16 using a 12 frame. 7.3 lbs is a tad heavy!! Also i read that the Sharp Tail came with 5 chokes but looking back, the specific article (https://projectupland.com/bird-hunting-gear/cz-sharp-tail-a-shotgun-review/) was written about a 20 guage. It’s a bit odd to change features per gauge but if they aren’t fully committed to 16 ga they would want to avoid the cost of manufacturing the chokes. I’ll look forward to your feedback, cold iron.

Thanks.

All the Huglu made 16 ga's use fixed chokes, usually IC/Mod. I've got one 16 ga Ringneck that I ended up having the barrels cut to 26" and screw in Teague style chokes installed that is a fairly nice bird gun for preserve hunts mainly, but I occasionally use it for pheasant and chukar on my buddy's Idaho ranch. I ended up with screw in chokes because it came from the factory with both barrels choked .007". I also got a .410 Ringneck with supposedly IC/Mod chokes that the barrels measured .030"/.040". I had Briley install screw in chokes in the .410 and had a ball shooting it at Alabama bobwhite this spring. My point is that in my experience the fixed chokes on Huglu guns can and often are a ways off from what they say they are. Maybe I should not own a bore gauge set, and just shooting them as they came would have been fine, but inquiring minds want to know what they have.

LenNelly
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:13 am  Reply with quote

The Rizzini seems to be a better way to go, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’d rather have a factory gun with the desired features than go through the hassle of trying to fix a gun that didn’t make the cut. The sharp tail 16 seems to be kinda crude.

Thanks much!
rkittine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:26 am  Reply with quote

My Rizzini came with a beautiful contrasting wood, checked butt pad, though pad is the wrong term. Between the checkering and lack of recoil reduction, I had a sporting pad fitted to it, while only removing the wooden butt end and not cutting the stock at all.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
LenNelly
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:02 am  Reply with quote

A good recoil pad can make shooting a lot more fun. Target loads aren’t too bad when I’m wearing a padded vest. Hunting loads or shooting while wearing a T-shirt without a vest can be punishing without a recoil pad.

A very important question about the Rizzini guns is whether or not they are cast neutral. As a right handed shooter I paid little attention to this detail but since I now shoot left-handed, cast cannot be taken for granted. It’s hard to come by a Beretta for a lefty! Do you know anything about cast and FAIR Rizzini?

BTW: Has the Sag theatre been rebuilt?