16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 Gauge Steel Goose Load
John Singer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

While bismuth and tungsten are quite expensive, is steel shot really more expensive than lead?

It seems to me that the cost differential between steel and lead is not very much.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:52 am  Reply with quote

John Singer wrote:
While bismuth and tungsten are quite expensive, is steel shot really more expensive than lead?

It seems to me that the cost differential between steel and lead is not very much.

The shot itself is getting pretty close anymore, personally I think bagged lead shot is extremely overpriced. Wasn't to many years ago local shops around here would get drums full of lead shot from Taracorp (Lawrence) across the river in Illinois and sell it in gallon jugs. Wish I could still get 45 lbs of lead shot for $20 !!
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:05 am  Reply with quote

Wish I could get it for $1.00 a pound.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

Back to the original load, the Federal BB in 16 ga.. One must ask, how far can I kill geese with #2 steel? Now, after answering that, the litmus test for the BB load is this: will it pattern reliably at ranges beyond where #2 is getting the job done? At least 5 yards beyond? If not, then at best nothing is gained. At worst, crippling losses actually increase due to poorly (inconsistently) hit birds. And that folks, is where the Devil lies in the details. Remember, BB is actually three sizes larger then #2. One way to find out...

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:29 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
Back to the original load, the Federal BB in 16 ga.. One must ask, how far can I kill geese with #2 steel? Now, after answering that, the litmus test for the BB load is this: will it pattern reliably at ranges beyond where #2 is getting the job done? At least 5 yards beyond? If not, then at best nothing is gained. At worst, crippling losses actually increase due to poorly (inconsistently) hit birds. And that folks, is where the Devil lies in the details. Remember, BB is actually three sizes larger then #2. One way to find out...

I believe pellet count will also be large part of the equation here, starting off with 65 pellets in a load even if your getting 70% patterns on the other end that's a 45 pellet pattern. Not much room for error there.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:31 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:

I believe pellet count will also be large part of the equation here, starting off with 65 pellets in a load even if your getting 70% patterns on the other end that's a 45 pellet pattern. Not much room for error there.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:31 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:

MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:11 am  Reply with quote

I love the 16 ga. But.........when it comes to large sizes of steel (BB) I think that you need to look at the 12 ga. or larger.