16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Brand-new 16 GA side-by-sides for sale at Cabela's
Bill K
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

I was in my local Cabela's (Hudson, MA) on Saturday and I came across a well stocked double-tiered rack of new side-by-side shotguns, 12's & 16's , selling for $349.99.

They are Zastva (I'm guessing Turkish made) model M75's, I saw 12's & 16's - there's probably some 20's in there too. There were traditional pistol grip stocks as well as straight English stocks.

They locked up as tight as a bank vault, and it looks like they all had fixed swivels attached. I think the barrels were all 29" and I presume they have inter-changeable chokes.

Pretty good for the price.
df
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

You get what you pay for. Doubt there is much quality in a new SxS at that price.
I’ll be passing on that one.
oldog
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

probably a spanish A&D

1stgun
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

I don't suppose there was a pallet of Herters 16ga shells around them, be good cross merchandising.

I'm just sayin,

Chuck

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

Zastava is a Serbian manufacturer. Lock up like a bank vault? They ought to, they're new.

T-Bone
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:27 am  Reply with quote

I handled several from the gun rack outside the Post Falls,Id. Cabelas Gun Library and found them to be rather crudely made with the forend already falling off one of them. The 16 Ga. and the 12 Ga. appeared to be on the same frame. I'll pass.

Bill K
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 am  Reply with quote

What I meant to imply is that I'm not looking to sell anyone a gun, but rather for short money somebody can experiment with 16 GA without having to fork over three to five times as much.

Although the previous generation swore by them - let's face it 16 GA isn't for everyone.

To me its pretty much an upland gauge; waterfowl loads are practically non existent; there are no 16 GA turkey loads (or chokes); its a little on the anemic side for deer, it's the only gauge that isn't recognized in skeet, and there aren't really specific target loads - lead or steel.

Reality is either 1 ounce or 1-1/8 ounce loads - which are fine, but limited compared to 12 or 20. And let's face it 16 GA ammo is not found everywhere.

So in the classic sense its almost 'experimental', and there's nothing wrong with that - I myself hand load a 16 GA steel #7 target load for ranges I shoot at where lead shot is verboten. I've heard others mention 'hand rolled' 7/8 ounce target loads, and others 1-1/4 ounce and even 1-3/8 ounce loads. Truth be told I'm giving thought to working up a #4 bismuth shot load for a once or twice duck hunt.

So for anyone with exotic shotgun dreams and a limited budget this is a good product and at an affordable price point.

All things considered it's amazing that it is available at Cabela's.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 am  Reply with quote

The local Cabela's has a rack of these also but the ones I handled appear far from new; if they are new they're the worst finished guns I've ever seen. Certainly not implying the ones you saw are not new, but for these the phrase "Rode hard and put up wet" comes to mind. As I recall, some had numbers or other identifiers stamped on them. I've heard people from various Cabela's locations reporting these guns in stock there as well; they must have bought a semi-truck load! I wonder where they got all these? Personally I thought they were over-priced by about $200 (and I wouldn't have bought one at that price either) but I admit it's hard to find a 16ga gun for $350.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Bill K
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Ugh

How the heck do you attach a picture.

I've got 2 photos of these Zastava shotguns, they appear to be new.

They'll never appear in the "Fine Gun Room" but for short money I'd say they're worth consideration.

In my experiences finding a 16 ga gun starts at $750 and goes up, not to mention the additional cost of incidentals.

I'd say a lot of shooters would cinch up before laying out the better part of a thousand dollars for an experimental gun - with these they could be in business, so to speak, for under $400
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Bill

Use a photohoster and then attach the IMG code here

I use www.Tinypic.com

Mike

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have used Phot obucket https://photobucket.com/