16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  May need to roll my own
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek, What 1 1/8oz Fiocchi load are you shooting in you Elsies?Golden Pheasant?

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

I would use a normal load in the 2nd barrel instead of a spreader. Just use a low pressure one ounce load of #6 in the Crescent and it may surprise you.

oldog
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

The Antique Crescent Hammer Gun I am going to Grouse hunt with can not take the Fiocchi shell pressure that I usually use for my 2nd barrel on my L.C. Smith guns.

I am looking for a low pressure load that I can use out of the 2nd barrel of this old Hammer gun that will still put me in the 1,300 FPS range. Is there a 16 gauge load that has maybe a 1 Oz shot of #6's, with some kind a Windjammer, and Unique Powder to keep the pressure low for use in this old 16 gauge Hammer gun? Or am I asking the impossible? If not I will stay with the SpredR #6's.

Would appreciate your recommendations.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The Longshot load I recommended I what I used in that gun when I owned it. No problems.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28,

Now that 1oz of Copper #6's @ 1200 FPS sounds very interesting out of a 2 1/2" shell, I will definitely check RST out for some of these shells.

Thanks much for the heads up on the RST Copper 6's, evidently they are not SpredR's, which is perfectly ok for under the 2nd trigger. Now if the pressure is decent we got a winner, for the 100 year old Crescent Hammer Gun.

Just read the write up on these shells, advertised as low pressure less recoil shells, I think they will do the trick. @ about $33.00 a box delivered they better.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

You can also look in to the RST fiber wad loads of 6's. less axpensive than the copper shot loads.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, RST offers them more than one way. It looks like you found out. I can't verify that the copper wash on them pellets will actually help you kill birds, but the $33 per box will sure help you not miss them!

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

old dog,

Recoil is not a problem, just trying to keep the pressure down and get the #6's up around 1280, with at least 1 Oz of shot. Now it looks like I can purchase RST shells instead of rolling my own.

Thanks for the recommendation!

WyoChukar,

It looks like that is what I am going to end up doing.

Savage 16,

No they are not Golden Pheasant, a similar load however, they were called heavy loads when I purchased them way back, still have a few boxes left of the case. They do work great out the L.C. Smith 16 gauge guns. Only using them out of the 2nd barrel they lasted a long time for me.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:30 am  Reply with quote

You can do it if you roll crimp with a high capacity Federal hull. Use a cut down 2.5" federal hull, Z16 wad, 24gr longshot, 1oz, standard overshot card or polywad spreader, you're good to go. It's around 1300 fps and 8k psi. The roll crimp helps keep the pressure lower. I used to use this load exclusively in a short chambered Lefever I had. It works great. In fact, I may load some of these up for my 2.75" Husky, just because they work so well, and I like the instant load ID that roll crimps offer when you write the load on the os card.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:

fn16gauge,

Have you ever tested and used that particular shell configuration, it looks decent for sure?

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dave I have never used that load , Only these 2 for 1oz low pressure , both are great loads but slower than you want .

Fiocchi 16 2 9/16" 1 oz. Unique 19.0 CCI 209 BPI Z 16 1146 6,880 dogchaser

Cheddite 2 1/2 " 1 oz. HS-6 23.0 Ched 209 BPI SG 16 1138 6,900 eng-pointer 16 gauge forum
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 am  Reply with quote

Roll crimps help keep pressure down...so does a shallow fold crimp. I remember someone posting results of pressure tests based on crimp depth a couple years ago. It may have been byrdog/olddog. It's in the ammunition/ reloading section I believe.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:27 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

Looks like olddog has some nice mixtures cooked up, however I believe I will use the SpredR's out of the old Crescent 16 Hammer Gun he sold me, that way I will not need to reinvest in in a Mec reloader. I have been using the 2 1/2" SpredR shells in my Pre 13 L.C. Smith guns for a long time, and they do a great job in the Grouse woods.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man