16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 reloader
jaksny
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 16 gauge reloader. I would prefer a sizemaster or similar, but would entertain others depending on the price. If anyone has one laying around unused, let me know!

More fly rods than a guy should have.
HaweaterHal
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 am  Reply with quote

I have a 16 ga head that will fit a 800 cvt or 800 Plus Posness Warren
You would need to buy the 800 machine which would run 400 to 700 used but would come with a 12 or other gage head.
It only takes about 20 min to change the gage.

jaksny
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

Ouch! Thanks for the reply, but that's well out of my price range!

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 am  Reply with quote

I bought a cheap 20 ga. 650, recut the base circle for 16 ga hulls (the hard part), then bought the few parts needed to convert to 16 ga. I have less than $100 in the whole outfit.

rkittine
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:21 am  Reply with quote

If you are not going to reload thousands of shells and are not worried about fast, price wise it is hard to beat a Lee Loader. Resizes the base and have enough powder and shot bushings, albeit plastic, for just about any combination and all for about $55.00 new if you look around for them. I use a Grabber for 16 gauge and with multiple guns in the same gauge it is good to have the full base resize, which you only get on certain models of reloaders.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Woody402
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

Find a MEC 600 Jr. OT fast but good quality ammo.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mec-600-JR-16Ga-MARK-V-Gauge-Shotgun-Shotshell-Press-Reloader-used-estate-find/283481723711?hash=item4200d3d33f:g:D30AAOSwNoRc1zuC

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Good job, WyoChukar! I've done a couple of 650's, but I went the other way -- going to a smaller gauge -- e.g. going from 12 to 16. No advantage over the 20 to 16 gauge conversion, the 12 is just what I had (free!), and I needed a 16. I've gone 20 to 16 as well as 12 to 16 with 9000's. To reduce the track in the machined base of the old style 650 from 12 to 16, I simply fitted a carefully formed ring of bare single-strand #12 AWG copper wire (cannabalized from a discarded piece of Romex house wire) into the rim recess of the base, bonded it in with JB-Weld, and then made the necessary die changes. Works like a charm, just as you say. With the newer-style bases with the riveted-on black ring part that determines gauge size, MEC will sell you that black ring as well as the rivets to put it in place. Grind the heads from the original rivets, punch them out and install the new gauge-specific ring, and Bob's Your Uncle.

Non collet-resizing old MEC progressives such as 650's, 500's and the Super-600 are the most unpopular MEC's, so often they can be had for a song. A gauge conversion works out well cost-wise if you can get one of these loaders or any MEC progressive for that matter, such as Grabbers and 9000's, cheap enough. Folks just don't understand 650's, it seems, and yes, of course you can resize on a 650, 500 or Super600. MEC still represents them as "gauge-unchangeable". Anyway, they work great and a change to another gauge is easy if you are motivated and understand the loader. The 500 works best with the retrofit of the later (and current) MEC crimping tools -- it did not come with the cam-type crimper MEC uses on everything now (since the late '60's!), but it can be retro-fitted easily. If a fellow is changing one to another gauge he needs to get new crimp tools anyway, and the cam-crimp assembly is the only thing available now. I'm always amazed at the backward compatibility of MEC reloaders.
jaksny
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:54 am  Reply with quote

I suppose that I should have pointed out that I already own a Mec Sizemaster in 12 gauge. Two of my kids (four and eight) can reload with it with no direction from me, and little supervision at all. I obviously watch them the entire time to make sure everything's done right. So, I guess I would prefer to buy another Mec Sizemaster mainly so we can roll right into it without another learning curve for the kids. Reloading is a favorite family hobby at my house, I can never seem to do it alone. Unless I'm reloading the brass cases with black powder, then I don't let anyone in the room with me.

sneem
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with a MEC. My MEC 600 jr in 16 gauge makes excellent reloads. A Sizemaster would be fine. I have a stable of MECs in gauges from 12 to .410 some going back to the 70's. Never had an issue with any of them.