16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Primer substitution
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am  Reply with quote

Is there a primer that can be substituted for Cheddites? I'm hoping either CCI209 or Win209 are about the same, since Cheddite primers aren't easy to find locally.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am  Reply with quote

I often substitute Win 209's and Cheddite 209's in mild target loads. With my hunting loads I stick to the recipe. Is what you are doing safe? I guess that depends on how much margin for error you have. If you are shooting a lower pressure load in a modern gun, you have little to worry about. If you are pushing the maximum limits of your gun, I would hesitate until I knew what the changes would yield in terms of pressure.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 am  Reply with quote

AND remember the Cheddites are a bit larger in diameter, so once
you go larger, you can not easily go back smaller.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cheddite-209-Primers-1000_box/productinfo/CH209/

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=440683

READ this one below for SURE
http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:55 am  Reply with quote

When one "substitutes" a different primer (or other component), one is making an entirely different load. Maybe the "new" load is tested and published, and maybe not. If it's published, consult the book and find out what you have. If it isn't, you're taking your chances.

I found out recently there are (at least) 3 different varieties of Cheddite shotshell primers with varying properties, i.e., one is hotter than the next.

Sending a load off to Armbrust for testing is a whole lot cheaper than buying prostheses. Even cheaper than just the co-pay on them.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

UDF,
Seattle Skeet and Trap Club (SST) at the King County Shooting Sports Park in Ravensdale has plenty of Cheddite primers and just about everything else (except 2 1/2" 16 ga ammo!) during their component sale days, every Tue and Sat 1000-1100 for members. Best to call ahead to confirm staff is available. SST has Sporting Clays, 5 Stand, Wobble, American and International Skeet, American and Continental Trap, pattern board, rentals, etc. at low rates and reasonable annual membership fee.

B.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
UDF,
Seattle Skeet and Trap Club (SST) at the King County Shooting Sports Park in Ravensdale has plenty of Cheddite primers and just about everything else (except 2 1/2" 16 ga ammo!) during their component sale days, every Tue and Sat 1000-1100 for members. Best to call ahead to confirm staff is available. SST has Sporting Clays, 5 Stand, Wobble, American and International Skeet, American and Continental Trap, pattern board, rentals, etc. at low rates and reasonable annual membership fee.

B.

Thanks! Ravensdale is awesome. I've shot there quite a bit. Cool seeing all the deer browsing while people are blasting away all around them. Unfortunately I'm down in Portland, OR now. I'll poke around. Thanks for all the info everyone!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I often substitute Win 209's and Cheddite 209's in mild target loads. With my hunting loads I stick to the recipe. Is what you are doing safe? I guess that depends on how much margin for error you have. If you are shooting a lower pressure load in a modern gun, you have little to worry about. If you are pushing the maximum limits of your gun, I would hesitate until I knew what the changes would yield in terms of pressure.

I'm trying to work up a mild target load for my 2.5" RST 12ga hulls I have, in the 7k psi range, for use in a 2.5" damascus Lefever. I don't want to go much higher than 8k.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah I was wondering that. If I found a load at 5,500-6,000 psi, especially with a lighter shot charge, the worry would be minimal. Of course, this would have been a better dilemma last week when Powder Valley had free hazmat for 24 hours on orders of $149+. You could have ordered 5000 primers and few other goods without shipping being so ridiculous.

I was looking into some 2 1/2" low pressure loads a few weeks ago since I keep thinking about that Syracuse Arms 16 ga. that needs a stock. I am about to build my own stock milling machine, lucked into a huge mortising stand an hour ago to mount everything to...so it is even more likely I will be in the same boat soon. I recall some loads at very mild pressures, now if I can just remember where I saw them! Hogdon's site had a few, I think. Then there is the low pressure group spreadsheets...

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

skeet, I keep hearing that, but have not experienced any problems with loose primers when I switch back and forth between loads that require Win or Cheddite primers. Maybe it has to do with most of my loads being only 8,000-9,000 psi.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Would love to hear more about that Syracuse 16. I had one of those, choked f/f, and it was an amazing long range gun. First time shooting trap with it I could hardly miss with it. Converted it to straight grip, made it all pretty, then gave it to a family member, hoping he would hunt with me, and I don't think it has been shot since. Sigh...

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I think I just "damaged" the budget for the Syracuse. I stumbled onto a Baker online this afternoon and it's not far from where I live. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon. May need to do some number crunching to make sure my travel budget for the next snowcock adventure remains intact before committing to the Syracuse.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 am  Reply with quote

I may be interested in it if you're not.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Bought the Baker!