16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  UncleDanFan "SWEET" 16 - Thank you!
Bill K
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Dave,

You’ve definitely made my day - thanks for sending the picture.

Bill K
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:33 am  Reply with quote

Slim's did my straight stock and changed the pad on mine (I did not like the look of the Browning factory pad ). I don't remember the exact price but it was less than I thought it should be . He did a fantastic job.

Thank you Dave Erickson for turning me on to him .
Bill K
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Decisions, decisions -

RE stock alteration and possible barrel shortening.

I won't have my new Sweet Sixteen until the end of the month when I return from vacation.

However during the weekend I had a chance to stop by the Kittery Trading Post (Kittery, ME) where I had an opportunity to pull one out of the rack, put it to my shoulder, focus in on that pronounced pistol grip, and start to my thought processes as for customization options.

Which brings me back to this forum.

I've shouldered one of the new Sweet Sixteens before however, I was 'starry eyed' and didn't notice the curvature of the pistol grip - but that's pretty pronounced and it does cinch up against my fingers. So I agree that custom stock rework needs to be done.

Now I can't decide between POW or straight English - I used to have 5 shotguns with straight stocks (I'm down to 3 now), so I definitely like those however, the POW looks pretty snazzy too.

As for cutting back the barrel to 23" and having Briley install a thin wall choke system I'm going to have to think about that.

So I'm open to suggestion - bearing in mind I'm a field guy, whatever will get me on fast departing upland birds the quickest is my focus.
Thinblueline
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:09 am  Reply with quote

I don’t understand the problem with the stock grip as it comes. It fits my hand just fine and I don’t even think about it or notice any problems when shooting or carrying. I would think the designers know enough about guns to know the masses wouldn’t approve of the grip style if that was the case, and they’d come up with something else. Unless a different design would have significantly increased production costs, but in that case, I may have been less tempted to buy the gun in the first place, since it’s already carrying a hefty price tag. I’ll be keeping mine as is.
Bill K
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Thank you ThinBlueLine for the reality check.
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Some say its grip is more for a target gun than field. Then why do I do just soso at targets, but had a great year with it on pheasants? Shocked It seems that those with largish paws have the most complaints about the grip style. Maybe its a time for Skeetx's old saying-shoot shoot shoot it for a year and then decide.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

Thinblueline wrote:
I don’t understand the problem with the stock grip as it comes.

From my first post in this thread-
Cold Iron wrote:
a couple of years ago degenerative arthritis had started to set in to my wrists and fingers. ~ that steep radius grip hurt my carry hand after more than half an hour.

Heard good things about UncleDanFan so contacted him after hunting season about it. Knew a straight grip was better than factory but even that hurts after awhile, needed something in between.

You're young yet and hopefully you will never have to understand the problem with degenerative arthritis in your wrists, fingers, ankles or anywhere else for that matter.

Browning pretty much copied the design of the Benelli Ultralight and they both have steep radius grips. It is to help absorb recoil with such a light gun. But Browning forgot to leave enough space between the grip and action to put the gun over your shoulder to carry. I have shot a lot of birds carrying like that. And so has Dave Erickson which is why he had his converted to a straight grip.

Like I said a straight grip doesn't work for long carries for me anymore either with my wrist joints. Couple of months ago ended up selling my 16 ga. 37 English UL Deluxe for that reason.

And hard to play the trombone when the left fingers and wrist start to act up too. But keeping 4 of my Ithaca 37 16 ga. guns and will never sell those. "Slim" has one of them right now doing some repair work. Needed a POW grip on the Sweet 16 instead of a straight grip and UncleDanFan did a fantastic job, he is as good as everyone says he is.

I will eventually pick up a second Sweet 16 for targets I shoot them extremely well and they are just plain fun to shoot, and will leave the grip alone for clays. The extractor broke on mine after a couple thousand rounds (it is very thin) while shooting at Horse and Hunt. Stopped on the way home at Ahlmans which is a Browning repair facility and they had me fixed and on my way in 20 minutes. Shooting clays you don't carry for miles at a time.
Thinblueline
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Thinblueline wrote:
I don’t understand the problem with the stock grip as it comes.

From my first post in this thread-
Cold Iron wrote:
a couple of years ago degenerative arthritis had started to set in to my wrists and fingers. ~ that steep radius grip hurt my carry hand after more than half an hour.

Heard good things about UncleDanFan so contacted him after hunting season about it. Knew a straight grip was better than factory but even that hurts after awhile, needed something in between.

You're young yet and hopefully you will never have to understand the problem with degenerative arthritis in your wrists, fingers, ankles or anywhere else for that matter.

Browning pretty much copied the design of the Benelli Ultralight and they both have steep radius grips. It is to help absorb recoil with such a light gun. But Browning forgot to leave enough space between the grip and action to put the gun over your shoulder to carry. I have shot a lot of birds carrying like that. And so has Dave Erickson which is why he had his converted to a straight grip.

Like I said a straight grip doesn't work for long carries for me anymore either with my wrist joints. Couple of months ago ended up selling my 16 ga. 37 English UL Deluxe for that reason.

And hard to play the trombone when the left fingers and wrist start to act up too. But keeping 4 of my Ithaca 37 16 ga. guns and will never sell those. "Slim" has one of them right now doing some repair work. Needed a POW grip on the Sweet 16 instead of a straight grip and UncleDanFan did a fantastic job, he is as good as everyone says he is.

I will eventually pick up a second Sweet 16 for targets I shoot them extremely well and they are just plain fun to shoot, and will leave the grip alone for clays. The extractor broke on mine after a couple thousand rounds (it is very thin) while shooting at Horse and Hunt. Stopped on the way home at Ahlmans which is a Browning repair facility and they had me fixed and on my way in 20 minutes. Shooting clays you don't carry for miles at a time.

Well I’m almost 50 so I guess I’d be considered young. I have the body of a
70 year old, with four shoulder surgeries, three knee surgeries, one elbow surgery and a bad ankle surgery. I’ve got arthritis so bad in my shoulders the only thing the doctors will do for me now is total shoulder replacements, but they want me to hold off as long as possible. So yeah, I know a thing or two about joint pain.
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 am  Reply with quote

Thinblueline wrote:
I don’t understand the problem with the stock grip as it comes. It fits my hand just fine and I don’t even think about it or notice any problems when shooting or carrying.

Well good for you! New flash; we are all different.

I think the original grip is awkward as hell for carrying comfort, and for me it was either fix it or sell it.

The end.
Bill K
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:56 am  Reply with quote

I am 68 years old - I have to remind myself of that several times a day and I'm still in disbelief.

Actually the Hardware is 68, but the Software is 28.

I've been shooting since I was 6, and I've shot dam near everything there is to shoot.

At my last physical my doctor remarked that my right hand is larger than my left and asked what I did I attribute that to (stop that snickering) - and my response was my very active life style.

These days I find my hands very susceptible to cold, they do cramp up occasionally, the middle finger on my right hand has a slight bend in it, and in general they ain't what they used to be.

One of the passions in my life - in addition to convertibles, history, and pretty women, is upland guns. At one point I owned seventeen (17) - including an Armalite AR-17. and my fifty-four (54) hunting seasons has been a never ending quest for the perfect upland gun. And to me there are four (4) sub-categories of upland gun - for pheasant, quail, woodcock, and Ruffed Grouse.

When I was a kid there was a Sportsman Author up our way here in Massachusetts, the late Frank Woolner - I encourage you to look him up.

Anyway 'back in the day' Frank was enamored with the Winchester Model 59 - a 12 GA, 3-shot, aluminum frame, fiberglass spun barrel that was very light weight. Well Frank took one (actually two) and cut the barrel back to 23", converted the stock to straight English, and cut back the unnecessary part of the forend and turned it into the finest upland gun imaginable.

It was only 15 years ago that I found and 'Woolnerized' a model 59, and I heartily agree that it is an exceptional upland gun.

But it is a dated piece, and my curiosity always has me wondering what else is there.

I've owned an original Sweet Sixteen, but found that to be another dated piece however, the new Sweet Sixteen is something I find new and exciting - so that's my story.

I think I will follow the advice to shoot it for a year (or a considerable while) and then decide. But I know where I go (rather where my dogs take me) and what I need must have 'the deftness of a pistol'. This new Sweet Sixteen definitely has that potential, but I'm going to have to stroke my chin and see where that leads.

... fast handling, with the fit and feel of a 'C cup,' that delivers a load that matches my psyche.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice, CI. The most important criteria involved in the project was your satisfaction. Enjoy! Gil