16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Barrels for 16GA Sterly
jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1930 UticaSterlingworth with 26" bores - and i am wondering if its possible to find another set of barrels in 28". Would bbls from a like gun fit a different sterly - or are they all very individual? thanks
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Barrels will require some fitting (unless you get remarkably lucky!).

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Silvers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

f2f is right on! The chance of a different set of barrels fitting your receiver is very, very low. If the dimension from the hook, to breech of the barrels, is =/> your 26" set, it is practical to get them fitted. However if that dimension is < yours, it will be much more complicated and expensive - impractical. If you really want a 28" SW it would be more cost effective to sell or trade yours and find a 28" gun. There are lots of guys looking for 26" barrels on a lightweight Fox.

I hope you aren't looking for the set of 28" barrels because the 26" set on the gun you just bought has problems? When we last corresponded you were going to shoot it for POI and choke alignment. Silvers

Last edited by Silvers on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

No problems at all with the 26" bores. I was just curious so as to know what to keep my eyes open for should i bump into something.

Everything begs the question to me so I don't miss any opportunities I wouldnt otherwise see. I kind of knew the answer to theis question going in but usually (as my college history teacher always told us) the only stupid question is the one that was never asked, but should'vbe been.

I learn so much on this site and other means almost on a daily basis, it's incredible. Then, just when I think I know something look out!!! The one thing that i've found to be generally true regarding all things firearms is that its very difficult to discern between what someone tells you, or you hear, what you read and what you chalk up to actual hands on discovery. in other words,there are alot of opinions, heresay, would-be facts, rumours - spread through mouths, verse, websites and quasi-experts, plus all to published info we read in an attempt to seperate fact from myth (not that all published info is always the last word either). The thing is, there is a lot to learn -which makes the subject so enjoyable to me. My dream would be to spend a day with every master double gunsmith in North America for 1 week each, having to assist them doing all types of restoration work. You could learn in short order what may have taken them years to learn.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
My dream would be to spend a day with every master double gunsmith in North America for 1 week each, having to assist them doing all types of restoration work. You could learn in short order what may have taken them years to learn.

My Great Grandfather gave me this advice when I was growing up.He said " you need to learn from other peoples mistakes cause you ain't got enough time to make them all yourself".

He was a wise old man.
jig
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

Truer words were never spoken. Just make sure those who's mistakes your learning from, corrected them the right way.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

I enjoyed the comments here.

Just for the record I just bought and have out being fitted 30 and 32 inch barrels for a 16 ga fox sterlingworth. These barrels were offered here in the for sale section and were in-the-white. Don't know yet how long or how much it will cost. Waiting for original 28 inch barrels to get back from Mr. Orlen.

Also was lucky to find 2 sets of forend iron for 16 ga fox sterlingworth at Numrich last night - they are on the way too. Hope this all works out. Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge