16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Here We Go Again
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 am  Reply with quote

Square Load wrote:
Riflemeister,

Do you know if John has any females left in this litter?

I called him and left a message but he never returned my call Sad

John and his wife are on an Alaskan cruise for the next week, but I'll call Dennis, his assistant to see what he knows. These litters sell out very quickly, but there were three litters whelped in 4 days last month. The litter I was going to get a pup from was 5 females and three males. It can also be a fluid situation like happened with my pup. so don't get too discouraged. I'll PM you with what I learn.

Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
Square Load wrote:
Riflemeister,

Do you know if John has any females left in this litter?

I called him and left a message but he never returned my call Sad

John and his wife are on an Alaskan cruise for the next week, but I'll call Dennis, his assistant to see what he knows. These litters sell out very quickly, but there were three litters whelped in 4 days last month. The litter I was going to get a pup from was 5 females and three males. It can also be a fluid situation like happened with my pup. so don't get too discouraged. I'll PM you with what I learn.

Thanks for the help!

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:20 am  Reply with quote

Rowdy is growing like a weed and seems to be stuck on go, go, go. When I took him to the vet on 10 July for his shots and initial checkup, he weighed 28 pounds. 2 1/2 weeks later he's up to 34 pounds and I can't see an ounce of fat on him. I think I'm going to have another big shorthair.

I've gone to a harness similar to the roading harness I have for my big dogs because he would pull so hard on the collar he would choke himself. He destroyed the plastic bayonet fasteners on one harness already by pulling so hard, but at least he's getting good exercise (me too by the way).

Here is my normal view of exercising Rowdy with him pulling like a sled dog. Amazing how hard a 34 pound dog can pull.

Rowdy taking a break to get a drink and cool off in a grassy rain puddle.

Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

He’s sure got that lead taut, he looks like a pistol, but the good ones usually have tons of drive.

Sounds like it is coming along for you.

Good Hunting,
Mike
double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Looks good!
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Rm, there'll be somewhere out there who has a bird dog leash trained to behave like a hovercraft on a leash. I was able to train my late Aussie easily to walk on a lead, but my Britts? Like trying to stop a tractor pulling. My solution? Power Steering:
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/57554_800x600/] [/URL]
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

John Prince is getting the pup back at the 6 month mark to undergo finish training. He told me not to do any training that might take any of the fire out of him until they're finished. They believe he's an exceptional pup that can be a world beater and I'm willing to go along with their plan at least until I get him back and hunt him a while. At that time I'll evaluate what I can or can't live with and modify his training accordingly. He is not going to be an easy dog to hunt, but my 10 year old Bode was one of those wild ones in his early days, but was a phenomenal bird dog. In all his field trialing he was only beaten by a brace mate one time and that was my fault for over handling him. I can tough it out for another month and a half and then when I get him back he should have a foolproof whoa, heel on command and walk on a lead without pulling. Hopefully I won't regret that decision.