16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Lefever Nitro
Nasty-G
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 am  Reply with quote

I have a Lefever Nitro that I'm thinking of restoring. Not bad condition. Should I, Do it up right with re blue & refinish stock, refinish stock& cold blue, Shoot the bugger. I like nice guns but would this be lipstick on a pig ? Be gentle. Nasty

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

No
I am saying this in the nicest way !

Yes, lipstick on a pig,

They are wonderful guns, but the money spent will not
return you a profit.

Use the refurb money to buy a gun in the condition you want.

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Nasty G,

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and how much you like the gun. I have an early gun myself that is highly engraved. These guns are not worth a fortune, they shoot very well and seem to last for ever. Remember it is an entry level Box Lock double gun.

Put the money in the gun that you feel warrants your interest, and do not let anyone else influence you one way or the other.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Nasty-G
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

Leaning toward a little stock work & call it bueno. Thanks.

DiamondHunts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 am  Reply with quote

Are you doing the work yourself or are you sending it off. Iím completely restoring a pig right now. I probably have 4-5 times invested in supplies as I do in the gun. Iím doing it because I enjoy it, no other reason.

If itís what YOU want then do it!
Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Only if its a 16 gauge!!! Laughing
Really, what mike said unless its a family gun that you want to be nicer when you pass it along. Dads Savage 720 was in pretty bad shape finish wise so I decided to restore it knowing it would cost me more than it is worth to anyone outside the family

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 am  Reply with quote

Blue it and have the stock finish redone. It's cheaper than buying a new gun and then you have what you want. If your worried about your investment put your money somewhere else. Guns are tools not investments clean it up and be proud of it. If you don't like it the way it is you won't use it and then it's a complete waste of money. Guy's future value of all firearms will be zero no interest in hunting and the shooting sports as a percentage in the younger generations and it will continue to fall. Gun's will be illegal in the next 25 years. The writing is on the wall. Shoot them hunt with them spruce them up if you want pass them down now to people that will enjoy them and use them.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Hell yeah, spruce it up a little and have some fun doing it. It can be done in a way that is in keeping with the gun. In other words do a nice job, but not so nice it's trying to look brand new.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Last year I picked up a later Fox Sterlingworth 12. It has no collector's value, but it has the rare modern dimensions. I had a few little issues put right, then had the checkering recut and stock refinished, and a friend rust-blued the barrels and furniture. It's looks nice without looking too nice, and a helluva lot better than it did. The collectors roll their eyes at me. I don't care. Wink
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Do what makes you happy. It's not always about the money.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

These LeFever/Ithaca Nitro Special guns are a good Filed Grade gun which the eldest Hunter brother and his partners at Ithaca made possible. If you happen to own one with the modified Brown Rotary Bolt the guns are definitely a nice piece of engineering, that seldom needs any repair work. The guns work well in the field no doubt about it. Nice Bird guns for hunting.

As f2f indicated it's not always about the money, further most documentation on these guns is no longer available so no matter how old the gun is, it's only a shooter. I had a 16 which I gifted to another bird hunter some time back, the 12 gauge I own was built on a 16 gauge frame and is a serious Bird killer.

Restore your gun in the manner you like, other peoples opinion mean very little.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

There are a few early LeFever/Ithaca Nitro Specials the were Engraved and have special wood work. Below is one of them. No documentation exists so far as to the engraving or the wood work.

Nasty-G
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

WOW ! That's a beauty. I'd be uncomfortable carrying it.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

Nasty G,

Remember all LeFever/Ithaca Nitro Specials are field grade guns, no matter the embellishment. Good solid hunting guns for sure. They are not by any means a Deluxe grade L.C. Smith, even if some of the engraving was done by some of the same men.

That particular double gun gets used every season on Pheasant, Grouse, Woodcock and even some Wood Ducks.

All of our family guns are hunted with, some get used for clays also, thank you for the nice comment on the gun however. In reality it's a comfortable gun to carry & shoot.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Even this Deluxe Grade L.C. Smith is meant for hunting birds, not hanging on a wall or hidden in a safe.

Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

IF the money and future value of the gun is important to YOU, it won't work out monetarily in all likelihood. BUT, if you want to have a nice looking, solid built gun that you enjoy using , spend the money. I have refurbished several old double guns. The gentleman that worked on my guns made it clear i would be spending money that i would never get back. I spent the money and still have those guns. A little money and a little skilled care will give a beat up old gun a second life. I only keep guns i shoot, so some maintenance seems reasonable TO ME.
Perfume on a pig? Probably. But , you know, not all pigs are equal!

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:28 am  Reply with quote

W.H. Baker & Co. in Syracuse was financed by L.C. Smith and his brother Leroy (1877-1880). Baker and Leroy Smith went to Ithaca, N.Y. and established the Ithaca Gun Company in 1883.

About 1888 Lyman Cornelius Smith agreed to sell L.C. Smith, Maker of the Baker Gun company to John Hunter, Sr., who then began construction of a new factory in Fulton, New York. L.C. sold a controlling in the L.C. Smith gun works to John Hunter and his five sons, and Harry Comstock of Fulton, in 1889. The Hunters bought out Comstock, and the Fulton factory began producing Smith guns early 1890.

I am aware of no documentation that a Hunter brother was financially involved in the Ithaca Gun Co., but would be quite interested if Dave has evidence thereof.