16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth shot
61bhs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Can I simply substitute bismuth for the lead that I have been using in my reloads. I would think 1 oz of shot wheather it is lead or bismuth should not change powder charge.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 am  Reply with quote

After comparing some of my recipes referencing bis/lead loads with similar components the loads are close but not the same. Bis needs ~1.18x more space than lead all else equal so stack up stack-up/crimp might need to be addressed.

It seems to me that most published Bis loads employ slower powders, I'll assume due to Bis (traditionally) being a bit more fragile than lead = shatter on set back, if your current load uses a fast powder that may be of concern.

I'd suggest simply sticking with published data since you'll be adjusting shot drop and crimping anyways why not take the extra step and adjust the powder drop as well.

Good luck...

mcrewz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am  Reply with quote

From discussions on here and looking at data in manuals it is a generally accepted practice for 16ga to drop 1/8oz from the lead load for bismuth. So if you want to load 1oz bismuth use a recipe for 1 1/8oz lead. If you want a 11/8oz bismuth load use a 11/4 lead load. Or you could send some loads off to get tested and share the data with us Very Happy
DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:55 am  Reply with quote

If bismuth shot sizes are the same as lead, the number of pellets in a given volume will be the same for both, but the bismuth load will be lighter in weight. I see no hazard in using this method of loading bismuth shells.