16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Forum History
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Phil's post re: politics and the history of this Forum led me to check the "Gun Talk Users", then click on Ascending Order. I was #440 12/05. Lots of interesting names, some of whom once contributed frequently, but no longer do so. Some here I view (as my wife claims Wink ) as imaginary internet friends, and some I have hunted with.
Being here a long time doesn't make us any more credible or necessarily more insightful, but we do have a historical perspective. I'm thankful the site has continued after Doug's passing. Don't know who is doing the maintenance & moderating, but I thank them for their effort to keep this a site for ladies and gentlemen who appreciate the 16g, and keep it at that.

Anyone remember our 16g hunt in Montezuma Kansas back in 2006? Anyone with pictures? Whatever happened to 16gaugeguy in Mass.? Bill Retzlaff Dr16guage? We hunted together in Russell, KS in 2006. Is the Flatlanders shoot still going in Neb.? Who was the fella that tried to start the 16g Home Place in Republic County, Ks. then sadly had a fatal MI?

Dirk the desert dog's first encounter with a very scary Kansas STREAM in 2006 Shocked Me with a 16g 00E Smith, hunting with David Rosenkranz.

Last edited by revdocdrew on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 am; edited 3 times in total

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:43 am  Reply with quote

I was here at the beginning, got fed up with a member and left (which I regret), then jumped back in. Thankfully, I have learned to keep my cool better! Life's too short...

I've never participated on a forum group hunt, but I have gained some summer shooting friends from this site.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew,

I came to the 16 forum later than most, on an invite by one of my Grouse hunting friends, who was a Pa resident then moved west with his wife to become more financially independent. He recently attended a gun making school back here in Pa and Grouse hunted with us once again, spurring my further interest in the 16 forum. I really like the 16 forum and participate as much as my time allows now being semi- retired from my Grouse Dog training business.

I worked for both President Nixon and President Reagan as a US Army CID Special Agent, it does not bother me to talk about political matters as long as it is done respectfully. However I abide by the rules of the 16 forum, I am blunt when it comes to my 2nd Amendment rights, and I have been known to offend some liberal minded people.

I appreciate the civility of the 16 Forum and hope it always continues.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

Good idea and I have been a member for a dozen years. It is the only gun forum I continue to visit on a regular basis. I have found it to be a friendly and informative site but I don’t reload, so much of the wisdom is lost on me. I enjoy the general discussions and try to contribute if I feel I can add some value.

Revdocdrew, the site is now managed by s_long and he has a thread where contributions can be made to help offset the costs. It is the Sticky near the top of the General Discussion page. He manages it when he can and I feel we are lucky he has stepped forward to insure the forums continued success.

Good Hunting,
Mike
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

Found the 06' Montezuma 16g hunt thread but no pictures
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2096

It was Terry Boyer who tried the 16g Home Place
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2513

Looks like the FlatWATER shoot is no more?

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

I highly doubt any ladies spend any quality time here.

Down to one 16. It was the only gun I used last season, for a few different reasons, but, I have lots of choices on guns to use. The Sweet 16 Shoot in St Paul went away this year. Don’t know the back story, there was supposed to be a smaller one scheduled at a different club, I have no idea how that went.

The Flatwater has been history for a while.

Best,
Ted

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 am  Reply with quote

The last Flatwater was 2013, I think. I was at the last two, and signed up for the next one, when it was suddenly canceled. I'm not totally sure why. I don't know if the club had some problems or what. I know attendance was down to probably 15. Some of the notable attendees, possibly some of those that started it, had died. I think I could see some of the spirit had drained out of some segments of the group in the last one. I was a newbie though, and not cemented in some of the traditions. I wish I had attended more Flatwaters. Nice people, especially the gun club hosts at Grandpa's Sporting Acres. These events were a real hoot. Poking around, I found this https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/grandpas-sporting-acres-ne.57675/ Several 16 Ga. Society members can be seen in the pictures, including myself. This was during the last Flatwater.

Tony
bobski
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:11 am  Reply with quote

im a late comer to 16ga.com.
I came here on invite to offer some clay shooting as a draw for members to meet in the mo area, a little further down south than way up there in the yonder.
im consistently being told that 16ga.com isn't a hunting website, but I cant be convinced otherwise, since most discussions here involve hunting, than clay, repair, or collecting.
no issue. but it sort of limits my social interaction here since I don't hunt and im allergic to dogs.
by limiting 16ga to 16ga, its sort of like having a website to discuss chocolate cupcakes. after a while, there isn't much to discuss and people depart for more interesting topics. I stay out of loyalty even though ive talked out about everything I can about my 16ga inventory. as simple and nice as 16ga.com is...I hope it remains simple and ad free. coming here is a breath of fresh air for guys like me on dial up, people seem to be a tad more level headed and mature than the majority out there on other websites.
16ga is in my top 5 sites. im in the process of shutting down 14 others as we speak.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
wahoo
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:00 am  Reply with quote

Gents, I consider myself a new comer as well, but have appreciated this forum from the beginning of my finding my way here. I’m at a stage in my life where I find it takes a lot longer to get things done around the homestead, but my ambitions haven’t yet slowed down enough to be satisfied with actual accomplishments, thus I have began to live somewhat through other’s experiences when it comes to recreation. I haven’t quite reached the point of retiring, so my pace and limited time is mainly used for working. Haven’t taken my boat out in two years. Anyway, all this to say that I’m able to keep the fires of anticipated outdoor fun I hope to have eventually, stoked by visiting here and seeing what you guys are doing, and plan some fun of my own when I can manage the time for it.
One of the things I’d luv to see, is a gathering of us from here, at some annual event like was already mentioned. Maybe something ran for/by a charity that is fairly consistent like this one:
https://www.nclogaloadforkids.com/2019-sporting-clays-miracle-shoot.html

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

2007 or 2008 Doug seriously looking into a 16g get together at Flint Oak in KS
http://www.flintoak.com/
He and several here had/have Kansas roots, and, without reviewing the Users list, it does seem that, unlike PGCA, LCSCA, and other internet forums there is a significant Midwest presence here.
Unfortunately, Doug was unable to bring the idea to fruition.
Organizing a shoot is a major commitment in time & effort.

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

I am new to the group myself. Having been told about it by a reloading supplier at a sporting clay shoot in early 2016. I wish that I had been aware of it when Doug was trying to get an event going in 2006 since I was in Wichita at the time and now live about the same distance east of Flint Oak as I did west then.
When I have mentioned doing a 16ga event or a SXS event I get weird look from clubs as I am the only one they see on a regular basis that lives by his 16ga SXS.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
bobski
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:16 am  Reply with quote

today, the 16ga crowd/mass seems to have moved north. minn/wis/Dakotas...etc.

If there is still a Midwest presence, Byron and I certainly haven't found it here.
I went thru the entire 16ga roster and sent invites to well over 75 names. 10 fenced the idea but never committed. something was always more important than a forum meet, when it came time to bend the wallet.
we are on our 3rd shoot in mo, and we've only netted one other to attend. mo aint that far east of Kansas. :>
so...pass the word. we still are doing it, but blended the 16ga gang into other forums and dedicated local shooters.

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 am  Reply with quote

I see I'm class of 2005 as well, probably shortly after I heard of the site. 16s are still in the majority for me and holding steady. I just sold an Ithaca M37 to a friend who'd been looking for one, increases have come on the 20ga and 12ga side. I didn't own a 20 for several years then picked up a Beretta 303 and with readily available/inexpensive 20ga target shells it's become a skeet league gun. It claimed a league 20ga high average last year, but the good shooters must have found out as they're turning in some really good scores this go-'round. Two years ago an Ithaca M37 20ga fit like it was made for me, and this past year an Ultralight 20ga M37 came up for relatively cheap. Got a 20ga O/U inbound, too, may have to turn in my 16ga card. Won't give up the 16ga shooting bag I picked up from here, though. Also got a 12ga Ithaca M37 because it's pretty and I'd not owned one before, then a Beretta Trap semi-auto looked and felt right so I'm shooting it. One or more 12ga will likely go, the 20ga O/U probably won't last as the gun type isn't a favorite and I don't usually shoot them so well, but playing the game of which gun would you get rid of last leaves me with a 16ga of some kind.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:15 am  Reply with quote

kgb,

Hope all is well out west, you know I will never get rid of any of my L.C. Smith 16 double guns. Things here not good, VA wants to due open heart surgery on me in the near future. The Agent Orange has severely damaged some of my arteries to the point where they can no longer use the stents to correct the situation.

Going thru the prelim testing now, no date yet for the operation.

Hope you are in better shape than I happen to be. Thanks again for getting me started on the 16 forum.

All the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I'm not a fan of that news one bit! We will be praying for your speedy recovery, and a complete one at that.

I have loaned my LC Smith book to a friend who picked up a grade 2 and at least one Field Grade so he can read up on them. He also has a Lefever double of Trap configuration, no 16s until I sold him my Ithaca M37 a couple weeks ago.

Take care,

Kirk