16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth Recipe for lee load all 2
Ivy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recipe that works with the lee load all 2 for bismuth shot? Including what lee charge bars to use. I have the following supplies and was hoping to not have to buy new stuff. I知 shooting a new browning sweet 16 and the load is for chukar hunting.
- fiocchi pre primed hulls
- hogdon longshot powder
- roto metal #6 bismuth
- SG16 and SP16 wads
I am brand new to loading, I attempted a couple rounds from the hogdon website a couple nights ago and it did not go well. I had too much space up top and the crimp had shot falling out from the middle. Any help will be appreciated.
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Welcome!

If your getting dished crimps, the component height is a bit short. Try adding a filler. SOme use a 28 or 20 ga filler card in the bottom of the shot cup. Others use a dried bean or puffed wheat cereal. Or try alternate load data...

As for bismuth, unless you loading cases of shells, I'd actually weigh the individual loads of shot on a scale. lee makes an adjustable dipper which may speed up the process.

With experimentation you may find that one of the shot bushings will give a consistent drop for your load, but you'll have to find that through experimentation and verification.

hope that helps...
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Agree with 16er weigh your shot. With bismuth I would recommend a patch of felt of the proper thickness placed in the bottom of the wad to get your stack height. It gives the additional benefit of a cushioning effect which may help with fragmenting or shot sticking to the wad. You can purchase felt filler wads or buy felt at a craft store and make your own. Felt boot liners are excellent. I will say loadalls are slow and take a little practice to get the feel of but will make a very respectable reload. All you need to build hunting loads.
Ivy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

As far as weighing shot and powder, are you guys saying to weigh each individual round? My charge bar seems to throw variances of grain weight. I have a hornady digital scale and the same charge bar will vary between .1 to .5 grain difference.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Just the shot, because the bushings/bar are not calibrated for Bismuth.

Ivy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

I should have done more homework. I知 buying a mec sizemaster, I知 sure I値l have plenty of questions soon!
putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:57 am  Reply with quote

Ivy wrote:
I should have done more homework. I知 buying a mec sizemaster, I知 sure I値l have plenty of questions soon!

Good idea, pretty sure you won't regret the purchase. If budget allows I'd suggest also getting 1 or 2 Universal Charge Bars with your SM. I have 2 set up for my most common high volume 16ga loads, short range/skeet & long range/trap. Personally 2 is mostly a convenience (lazy) thing but I enjoy them to avoid the tweener/compromise bushing thing and easily adjust when switching loads, powders or powder lots. Also enjoy the UCB's in my 28, 20 & 10ga SM's as well, fantastic little devices!

Ask away, some deep forthright knowledge hanging around this wonderful forum.