16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  What's the difference between an A-5 in 16 g. and a Sweet 16
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I concur with dannypratt. It is not an A5 made by FN, it is an "American Browning" made by Remington while Belgium was "busy" during WW2.

They are well made guns but don't get the collector attention that the FN guns get.

Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Would these guns have the Remington production date code? If it's got one it'll be 2 or three letters on the left side of the barrel where it meets the receiver. That would nail the date.
RandyWakeman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:

I have been inside of both and Japanese guns are nicely made. But they definately feel heavier. I have not collected data to support it but we might try it here. One reason they feel heavier is the forends, on Jap guns they are a ton thicker and are heavy and clubby. the Belgian foreends are svelt and sweet in the hand. I MUCH prefer Belgian forends, but they are more likely to crack than the Jap ones.

There are (at least) three distinct fore end styles from late Belgium to late Miroku production. Early Miroku's had a slightly heavier fore arm (tad heavier) and later production had a fully squared off clearly hevier fore end.

The Miroku barrels are heavier, heavier yet when screw-choked. The barrels are bulged at the muzzle when screw-choked-- SOP, but adds weight. My Miroku S-16 w/ 26" barrel swings like a 28" Belgian, at least close enough for government work. 28" Miroku S-16's are slow, and nose heavy by comparision.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:19 am  Reply with quote

guys,

two things :

1) The American Brownings hold true to Remington date codes. They are located on the barrel, in the rear right by the reciever.

2) I completely agree with the 26" jap invector barrel being equivalent in mass to the 28" belgian. Howeever, I have a 1976 jap light 12 and a 1979 jap light 12, both with 28" vent rib barrels, and I have a Belgian light 12, 28" barrel from about 1967. They all three weigh and swing identucally. I have shot trap with them all quite a bit. I really noticed a difference when I purchased a 28" lt 12 w/ invectors. The invector gun had a fat forend, fatter barrel and was too muzzle heavy. Couldn't hit snot with it at all. My jap sw-16 with 26" vent barrel and invectors feels great, but my Belgian sw-16 with 26" ribless barrel still blows it out of the water in the handling dept.

-dannypratt
wahoo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Bumping this back up. Hopefully some of the original respondents as well as others can address a few other questions I have sich as:

1. Are the standard early midel 16’s with the English stock any lighter weight than the pistol grop version?
2. How many varieties of safety were there and what are their vintage, and characteristics?

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
Benjo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Wahoo , Mr Shirley's book is an invaluable resource.

For someone who has an interest in A-5's. It also gives a wonderful history on the FN company and all the things they produced.

Benjo

Remington 870 (3)
Tru-Test SxS
H&R Model 88
J C Higgins Model 20