16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Thoughts On Who To Leave Guns
dwr353
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, you are correct and thank you for your service!
Ozzy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:20 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

This appears to be even more of a common problem than I suspected, and one I may face eventually as well.

It’s true, you could sell your guns and donate the profit to an organization of your choosing, but I see issues with this route. The most significant being that the profit (however great or small that might be) will never come close to the appreciation the right person would have using those guns.

My recommendation would be to start looking for appropriate recipients among guys at nearby gun clubs or kids of fellow hunting buddies. I mean, how satisfying would it be to see potential in some budding young bird hunter and say: “Here kid, I’ve got something for you.”

Just a thought.
Ozzy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

This appears to be even more of a common problem than I suspected, and one I may face eventually as well.

It’s true, you could sell your guns and donate the profit to an organization of your choosing, but I see issues with this route. The most significant being that the profit (however great or small that might be) will never come close to the appreciation the right person would have using those guns.

My recommendation would be to start looking for appropriate recipients among guys at nearby gun clubs or kids of fellow hunting buddies. I mean, how satisfying would it be to see potential in some budding young bird hunter and say: “Here kid, I’ve got something for you.”

Just a thought.
rkittine
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 am  Reply with quote

No one in my family is into guns and some are pretty much against them. I have a complete inventory with the original price paid, the condition and the expected sales price. They are in my will to a close gun friendly friend, who will sell them, take a commission and the proceeds will go into my estate.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
canvasback
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
Gentlemen,

Just a thought.

I know I said something similar earlier in this thread but I think it bears repeating.

Our sport of hunting is under assault and every avenue should be pursued. My view is I will be dead. My son won't need 20 SxS shotguns. Unless he develops the same affliction i have in which case half the fun is the hunt for the gun. My guns, however valuable, won't be an overly significant part of my estate. Better to use them while still alive to help foster enthusiasm in a young person for the shooting sports.

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
Emtymag
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:00 am  Reply with quote

A friend of mine had an experience with this. My friend Brad hunts and fishes a lot and would talk to his coworkers about it some. None of them hunted or fished. One of his coworkers, Tim, would ask him to email some pictures of game he’s taken every once in awhile. Tim would send them to his dad who use to hunt a lot. When Tim’s dad passed away last fall and the family read through the will he had left all his firearms to Brad, a guy he had never met.

Last fall Brad took that old Remington 1100 out and flushed some wild pheasants with it. Might have even sat in a stand with the ‘94 30-30.

In the end it all worked out. No one in Tim’s family hunts or shoots.