16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Building A Grouse Dog - Craig Doherty
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

In my world a 16 gauge gun is used mainly for Grouse & Woodcock hunting. Others may have different uses for their 16 gauge gun, here in our Pa mountains Grouse guns and Grouse dogs are a way of life.

Having trained Grouse dogs for over 40 years I often purchase other Grouse Dog Trainers books, to see what they are doing in their training business. Craig Doherty's new book Building A Grouse Dog from puppy to polished performer is one of those books I decide to purchase, I was not disappointed.

Mr Doherty's training methods and ours here at Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers are very similar, leading to a real time Grouse hunting dog. I especially like his early puppy development method in actual habitat, and recommending the breeder pick your Grouse dog pup for you, and his reasoning behind this recommendation.

If you are a Grouse hunter and want to build your own Grouse dog, to go along with your 16 gauge gun, I highly recommend Craig's book. Lots of good information for building your own Grouse Dog.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you

and on your double posting

go to your posting
click on exit
click on delete posting
submit

Mike

p.s. this will work as long as no one has posted unto it

hayseed
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:29 am  Reply with quote

I also purchased Craig’s book. New dog coming the end of the year. Pine Creek, good to hear-that his methods mesh with another experienced trainer and hunter.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Just ordered a copy. Thx Dave
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 am  Reply with quote

Up to chapter 7 Dave, Been stretching it out a bit. Very interesting book especially the early stages with puppies. Hope things are going well with your recovery, I'm sure you will be up and after them in no time at all. I had a heart attack in 2010 while duck hunting with my son, just stents so far. Joe
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

Glad you like the book Joe, some decent information in it and well written to boot.
I like the way his young dog training grounds are set up, running right next to the forest. Ours actually runs both on our land and in the Tioga Forest, which really works out well, when familiarizing the pups with the habitat they well be hunting in most. Really helps that we have multiple Grouse coverts on our land for the pups to point also. I have developed the habitat on our property for this specific usage, doing so over many years of actual Grouse habitat improvement.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Hesten pointing one of his 1st Grouse inside our Pet Smart Fence that surrounds the log cabin property, on our land inside the Tioga Forest. This is the kind of puppy development Craig is talking about in his book. It really is a big advantage for the young pups.