16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Anyone try the APEX 16 gauge TSS Loads....?
MIsweet16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone try the APEX 16 gauge TSS Loads....?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:17 am  Reply with quote

I've never used any of their loads as I load my own .

But alot of guys on the Gobbler Nation site use them with good results .
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I bought 2 box's of 8's from them this spring played around with them in my new sweet. Stupid tight patterns I think they preform as advertised. Did not shoot any at Turkeys was carrying the sauer with 1 oz of lead 6's that works great at 25 yards. I think the TSS 8's are a bonafide 40 or 50 yard kill I just don't shoot turkeys that far.
Savage16
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:21 am  Reply with quote

All I see is a 1 5/8 oz Turkey load? $39/five pack?

MIsweet16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you men! I don't like the price but it may bring my grandfathers' old winchester back into turkey service.....
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Tungsten is far from barrel friendly. Depending on how old and how much you value your grandfather's gun, you might want to rethink using TSS. Plenty of lead 16ga loads available, certainly one of them should pattern sufficiently to kill a turkey at sane distances.

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:37 am  Reply with quote

Hal Abbott, "Hawglips", is the person most responsible for the popularization of TSS. Using connections garnered in the poultry business in China, he started importing,developing loads and selling to handloaders TSS. Kyle Smith initially marketed TSS kits for 20 and 12 ga. but eventually closed his online sales. Kyle may have been the first, but Hal took it to a higher level. Several more folks started importing. These folks developed loads which were pressure tested and recipes were shared with customers. Apex started handloading commercially, then Federal. Sources for the shot can be found on Alibaba, but these are minimum sized orders with some suppliers better than others as to shot density. Hal says if one is worried about scratching a barrel in an old gun, don't shoot it. However after over a decade of use, he hasn't seen the damage predicted by the naysayers caused by the shot. The secret is using the proper wads. HTL Wads from Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading, with and without Mylar wraps, protect the barrels. I've heard anecdotal reports of super tight screw in turkey chokes showing scratches, but haven't seen reports of scratched barrels. I'd stick to #9 through 10 for old guns. No argument that lead still kills turkeys, but TSS has made smaller gauges, .410 included, into bona fide, reliable turkey killers at 40 yards and beyond, without using heavy loads. Gil
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

I was thinking about buying a small quantity of the #7 TSS shot for reloading from Ballistic Products, just for Himalayan Snowcock hunts, but I see they are sold out. They have #9's, but the snowcock is a mighty big bird and #9 is equivalent to #5 lead. I already have a #5 buffered lead load that patterns incredible at 50 yards and darned impressive at 60 yards from my Fox 16, so #9 isn't going to do anything for me as a long range choice for a very nervous bird.

jusanothajoe
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I was thinking about buying a small quantity of the #7 TSS shot for reloading from Ballistic Products, just for Himalayan Snowcock hunts, but I see they are sold out. They have #9's, but the snowcock is a mighty big bird and #9 is equivalent to #5 lead. I already have a #5 buffered lead load that patterns incredible at 50 yards and darned impressive at 60 yards from my Fox 16, so #9 isn't going to do anything for me as a long range choice for a very nervous bird.

I use #9 TSS for turkeys, Killed two last season with it, handloaded in 20ga. It is twice as effective as lead shot. I will never go back to 12ga or lead for turkeys as long as TSS is available. You should pattern a few and see for your self. You will also be throwing twice as many pellets in the air. Whatever distance you feel comfortable with shooting #5 lead, you can bet #9 TSS will extend that distance. IMHO

Last edited by jusanothajoe on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
rdja
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:48 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:

As you sure about that for the 18gm/cc TSS? When I was loading stuff from Kevin, I loaded #7 1 1/4oz in 12 ga and crushed geese at 40 yards, using a cylinder choke. I know some guys on the TSS forum are loading 9s for ducks. Not sure I would want to shoot that hard stuff out of your Fox though.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

The whole idea of going to #7 TSS is to significantly increase range over what #5 lead will do. Remember, hunting snowcock is different than turkeys, body shots on flying birds are just as likely if not more likely than a head shot at a standing bird.

#9 TSS doesn't appeal to me since it is reputed to have about the same penetration range and knockdown as #5 lead. Having more pellets won't change that factor and I am already getting solid patterns out of #5 lead as far downrange as either choice is good for. If I spend the big bucks, I am looking to go well beyond 60 yards. #7 is what I would need.

As far as the old Fox goes, with TSS I would likely use another gun without quite as much choke.

case 1775
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

I have patterned the tss in 2 different guns, and they will definitely kill turkeys out to 50 yds with a turkey choke. Im still waiting for Winchester to come out with the long beard ammo in 16ga. I would buy a case of those.

Emtymag
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:52 am  Reply with quote

case 1775 wrote:
Im still waiting for Winchester to come out with the long beard ammo in 16ga. I would buy a case of those.

That would be as they say, epic!

case 1775
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

right on

fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:05 am  Reply with quote

Emtymag wrote:
case 1775 wrote:
Im still waiting for Winchester to come out with the long beard ammo in 16ga. I would buy a case of those.

That would be as they say, epic!

Not gonna happen , but you can dream !