16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Prescribed Burning & Rotational grazing to manage for Qu
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:12 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

The Native Prairies article cure for Missouri Bobwhites? A very good article by Ryan Lisson in the Project Upland Magazine. A recent study suggests Quail management may have to change for the betterment of the wild Quail population. In Missouri the 5 year prescribed burning and rotational grazing study proves to be working. The Quail population in these areas is up and stable.

Take time to read the fine article, especially if you are an avid Quail hunter.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
4setters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

PCDave,
While I haven't read this particular article, I believe I have read a similar piece about this same study. There are lots of studies pointing to the benefits of prescribed fire to quail, but not as many on cattle grazing.

In the north Arkansas of my youth. native grass pastures commonly interspersed with briars, sumac and sprouts were loaded with quail. Almost all of this was grazed by cattle, and unless overgrazed, prolonged the habitat for quail. With moderate grazing, I witnessed some of this habitat last as much as two decades before it progressed to woodlands. So, I'm well aware of the benefits of moderate or rotational grazing to quail. The science of Range Management in TX and the Great Plains follows this same path, and can be very beneficial to quail.

All of the habitat in north Arkansas changed dramatically, starting in the late 70s, when cattle prices tripled, fescue and Bermuda replaced native grasses and forbs and farmers progressed to using bushhogs to control shrubs and sprouts.

So, the results shown from this study doesn't surprise me at all. Cattle grazing can be good for quail, if done properly.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Emtymag
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Here in MN the DNR started a program where farmers and ranchers can graze either cows or goats on certain pieces of property in a rotation for the enhancement of the land and thus wildlife, primarily bird species I believe. It had some thing to do with simulating the bison grazing of yester year. This is a newer program and have not seen any new information on it as of late.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I thought the article was worth reading for sure, here in Pa our wild Quail population is very very low, our mountain Quail of the old days has become extinct from the lack of proper management. A real shame, my Grandfather taught us about our Pa Mountain Quail and how much fun they had hunting them with their Setter dogs.

Maybe this new management program in the western states will help stabilize our fading Quail population. I loved shooting wild Quail in both Texas and Georgia when I was in the military. Mearns Quail in AZ are my favorite birds to hunt other than Grouse. I do not believe the new management program will have any effect on most of the Mearns Quail population however. Not quite the same habitat.

It's been hard watching the wild Quail population fade, I do hope the new program does some good.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 am  Reply with quote

As a kid in the 60's the farm had as I counted one fall had 29 covey on 160 acre , I don't know how much the other thousand had on it never needed to hunt anywhere other than close to the house .

I watched over the years where the baby quail would follow the old hen through the dew laden fescue , the chick got wet , chilled , dropped out of the line .

Fescue is great for poor ground and the Ole cows , the demise of wild quail unfortunately.

Regards, Nick