16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  October 24 Amarillo, SNOW
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:12 am  Reply with quote

curteric wrote:
We sold the house in Minnesota and went fulltiming in our Rv. Lived in the Duluth Area for 30 years. I used to know highway 61 by the trees. Don't miss the snow. Will miss the Castle Danger cream Ale. We spent Oct 17-20 at Lake Meredith Texas just North of Amarillo. We left before the snow. We Are now in Tennessee. just shot a Sporting Clays course in Crossville and had a blast. I travel with a pair of Citori's and a MEC 650, in 16ga.

I moved to Mn. from Western NC 19 years ago. Did my twilight tour before retiring from the Navy there and stayed a few years after until a head hunter talked me into coming here. Pretty sure I shot the last grouse in Eastern Tn. and Western NC before I left Very Happy

My parents also sold their home when my father retired and traveled the US for a few years but eventually they settled back down again. Starting around Thanksgiving or shortly after they would not come back up to WNC when I lived there as it got too cold for the holding tanks and also them.

The snow and cold is getting harder as I get older no doubt about that. And plan on working a few more years although could punch out (again) in 6 months will full benefits. Too many people to the East. And I like my chlorophyll so the sage brush sea West of the Missouri doesn't do much for me. Lived all over the country and never dreamed I'd end up here. And moved around enough don't have a strong desire to do another move. Dec-March that changes though...

Mid Sept-Oct. Cook or Lake County is the only place for me and the dog

But rest of the year shoot sporting clays when and where I can.

Rare Olaf sighting at least 4 of us on here are trying to get him to shoot at least one 16. But prefer the summer and better weather for shooting SC. I also have AC in it.

Texas is not out of the question yet. But where I work has a hospital\site in Az. and leaning that way for a couple months of the year. Don't see myself living in "that" Valley though even for a couple of months a year. Still not sure....

2 weeks ago stopped in Two Harbors on my way to the Gunflint Trail to have some growlers filled with Cream Ale and Mn. had just made it illegal to fill growlers if the brewery has more than $20K a year in sales which of course Castle Danger does. Ugh. Have fun in your travels and exploring this great Country!
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:33 pm  Reply with quote

Mike That's one hechuva steak knife! Did you bring the smoker too?

fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

SKEETX,
I think it's great that you got to share some of our "white chit."
Ruffed Grouse are extremely tough here this year. GEtting points but the lil buggers just run.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:11 am  Reply with quote

mike , this is such a DISTURBING post ! Coming up on crossbow sat and the weather is supposed to break bad - did that last yr and 2 wks later is opening gun . Last yr got 2 feet of snow the nite before the opener - took us out ! Keep the snow down there , PLEASE !

Gran16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:09 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
mike , this is such a DISTURBING post ! Coming up on crossbow sat and the weather is supposed to break bad - did that last yr and 2 wks later is opening gun . Last yr got 2 feet of snow the nite before the opener - took us out ! Keep the snow down there , PLEASE !

I’ll take the cooler weather supposedly coming our way. Have next week off work to hunt, hopefully get a deer first thing then chase birds the rest of the time.That snow on rifle opener last year was something, made for some good hunting though.
wahoo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron, when did you retire from the Nav, and what was your rate? Retirement out of western NC makes me think your last stint was as a detailer. I retired from the Navy in 2001. Live in eastern NC, but go up to Grassy Creek, near West Jefferson often to visit friends. Just got back from Portland Maine last week. First time there, and plan to head back to Maine again next fall. Love it up there!

1949 Stevens 530 16ga SxS 28"
1950 Stevens 311A 12ga SxS 30"
1952 BRNO 12ga SxS 28.25"
1963 Superposed O/U 12ga 27"
1968 V Bernardelli SxS 12ga 28"
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

WOW!!
14 degrees in Amarillo this morning, duck playa lake frozen.

Still, went out this afternoon and shot 15 doves

Go figure !!!!!!