16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Harrington & Richardson 16ga.?
Hagrid 20
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

While visiting my sister in NC, my brother-in-law showed me a 1901
Harrington & Richardson 16ga. They recently moved in to a new house,
and the former owner left a bunch of stuff, including this gun (which
was hidden away on a high shelf in the garage). It's not in bad
shape, though there appears to be a touch of rust on the barrel.

Is this gun worth rehabilitating? I can't find this particular 16
mentioned anywhere online.

Does anyone know anything about the gunmaker?

hagrid
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

The following is taken from the H&R web site:

A breakthrough so important that it alters the course of an industry is rare indeed. But it happened in 1871, when Gilbert H. Harrington invented the top-breaking, shell-ejecting revolver. For the first time, handgunners had a firearm that was not only durable and accurate, but easy to load and unload as well.

To produce his invention, Harrington teamed up with William A. Richardson. The two men gave their names to a firm that would soon become synonymous with high-quality, technically superior revolvers and shotguns.

Harrington & Richardson’s reputation for excellence became established so firmly, so quickly, that in 1880 the firm was named sole North American licensee for England’s Anson & Deely double-barrel hammerless shotgun. In its day, the Anson & Deely was considered to be the finest shotgun available anywhere, at any price—and only the most quality-conscious manufacturer could be entrusted with its creation.

H&R’s success led it to break ground for a state-of-the-art factory in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1893. Just a few years passed before the factory had to be expanded. It was here that H&R developed a broad line of firearms, including their innovative—and hugely successful—single-barrel shotgun, which featured automatic shell ejection.

In 1932, an H&R pistol was used to set a new U.S. pistol record, and would go on to become the most famous firearm of its kind—the U.S.R.A. single-shot target pistol. This pistol was so accurate that it was adopted by the U.S. Army Pistol Team.

In wartime, H&R answered the call to duty. During World War I, H&R was an important producer of shoulder-type flare guns. In World War II, the company was a major producer of military firearms, earning many commendations from the U.S. armed forces. It produced the U.S. M1 Garand rifle, was the largest single manufacturer of the M-14, and one of the major producers of the M-16.

In November of 2000, the Marlin Firearms Company purchased the assets of H&R 1871, Inc. Marketing its products under the brand names of Harrington & Richardson® and New England Firearms®, H&R 1871, LLC is currently the largest manufacturer of single shot shotguns and rifles in the world.

The gun you referenced is neither rare or highly regarded by collectors, however, it is well made and the old single shots can be fun to carry and shoot.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Have that barrel checked before shooting if you have ANY doubt of it's construction
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:56 am  Reply with quote

my first gun is an H&R in 16 (circa 1983) - clean it up, have it checked out and enjoy it
cookiemann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a link that may help you. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
There is also another place , Walker Arms. Their site is temporarily disabled. You be able to pull something up on a search. The H&R website referred to them a couple years ago for info on the old H&R models. The last link I had on them was www.walkerarms.net they were down south Louisianna or Mississippi. I called them a couple times, but it has been a year or so. See what ya can find. I am a big fan of the H&R guns. They are made well and all American made, except for the new pump and auto models. Clean it, shoot it and have fun.
Does it have the numbers on it still? Shoot me an email and I may be able to help you identify the year, if you have the serial number.

cookie

Last edited by cookiemann on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
cookiemann
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't find a website, but I did come up with the address and phone number.
Walker Arms Co Inc

499 County Road 820, Selma, AL, United States

Phone: (334) 872-6231

Sorry, it was Alabama Shocked