16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Chamber length Nitro Special
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
That's a very good price for a Nitro 16 in good shape. They're solid guns. I paid more than that for one several years back, but it was just about unused, and must have been a special order gun. It had 26" barrels, open chokes, and twin ivory beads. That's not a gun I'd say I seriously regret parting with, but I shot it a lot and shot it pretty well. Some of them do have too much drop in the stock for some people.

Ithaca actually made three side by sides under different names. In addition to the Lefever Nitro, there was also a Lefever A Grade--not many of them out there, made in the mid to late 30's. And then there was the Western Long Range, later ones being marked Ithaca Gun Co as well. They came out in 1929, and are very similar to the Nitro but with more manufacturing corners cut. Uncheckered wood, for example, and a less expensive process used to manufacture the receivers.

You'll find an article I did on Ithaca's economy doubles in the Nov-Dec issue of Shooting Sportsman.

Larry, that is so interesting, thank you, I really don't know a lot about the wonderful guns made in my own country, and I'm kind of coming back around full circle. I know a little about Wichester 21's, and a little about Parkers, and I knew some stuff about LC's, but forgot it all, don't know squat about Fox.......The English stuff is so cool and sweet with dainty loads, but I like a man's gun, and these simple, sturdy, work horse Yank guns are every bit of that.....most of them can take a serious lickin and keep on tickin....the way I hunt, like deep in the brush and in horrible weather, etc, I seriously prefer a utilitarian shotgun....that fact, coupled with how spendy some of the foreign stuff is (and my chronic case of cheap), makes a lot of these American-made, "everyman's guns" about right for me.....

warm regds, I'll try to get a copy of your article,

Duncan

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:07 am  Reply with quote

Here it is http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63765226
Looks like a well done re-stock with BTFE, chokes opened, and roll-engraving probably chased. Would make a fun low gun skeet/quail gun!

britgun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Here it is http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63765226
Looks like a well done re-stock with BTFE, chokes opened, and roll-engraving probably chased. Would make a fun low gun skeet/quail gun!

It is indeed a nice gun for the dough, is it non-ejector, or ejector, and how is the Lefever (Ithica) single trigger? Reliable? Non-selective, I would imagine? What do you know about it? Thanks for the lead, bro...

Duncan

twopipe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

A few random thoughts on this thread:

The Ithaca Lefevers were not actually MARKED as 2-3/4" chambers until 1936. That doesn't mean that no guns were made with them before that, but they weren't marked that way.

The gun referred to at GunBroker is pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of the BTFE. It does have the more attractive frame style, though, which appeared in 1937 and was also used on the A grades.

The Ithaca single trigger (non-selective) is, in my opinion, a very good one. My normal companion when grouse hunting is a 26" 16 ga, choked IC/F with a single trigger. It has never given me any problems!

Roy
britgun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

twopipe wrote:
A few random thoughts on this thread:

The Ithaca Lefevers were not actually MARKED as 2-3/4" chambers until 1936. That doesn't mean that no guns were made with them before that, but they weren't marked that way.

The gun referred to at GunBroker is pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of the BTFE. It does have the more attractive frame style, though, which appeared in 1937 and was also used on the A grades.

The Ithaca single trigger (non-selective) is, in my opinion, a very good one. My normal companion when grouse hunting is a 26" 16 ga, choked IC/F with a single trigger. It has never given me any problems!

Roy

Roy, is it most likely non-ejector?

britgun

twopipe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Definitely most likely!