16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  A Few Good Reads
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Z---I never read that one, basically because I couldn't find it; I like Brister, he seemed like a real shotgunner. One of our members has written an eminently readable and insightful book on pheasant hunting---"A Pheasant Hunter's Notebook" by Larry Brown--in fact I am rereading it again now. I especially was impressed by his take on guns, loads and chokes for pheasants.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

I talked to Jim a few years ago by email,I believe he is now living in Arizona and is writing historical non-fiction. As stated in another thread, I was featured in the chapter
"Looking for Mr. Grouse". BTW, Jim shot a 16 Sterlingworth on that hunt, and I believe he had a Belgian guild 16 as backup.

Sporting Days
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Jim Fergus appears to be doing quite well these days as a novelist. He's got a new novel out right now but his "One Thousand White Women" was something of a cult classic on the ladies book club circuit.

I've read almost all his books -- and there are hunting references and stories in ALL of them that are fun to find even if they have little to do with the main plot:

http://jimfergus.com/
fourtown
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

I mostly read and collect anthologies of short stories. I can read one or two stories at a time and then go to bed feeling that I have accomplished something.

Gordon MacQuarrie is my all time favorite. Recently I have been re-reading Havilah Babcock's books, as I have been doing more quail hunting. "Labor Trouble on the Punkin Vine" is a great bird and dog story. I feel "Possum up de 'Simmon Tree" is one of the best hunting stories ever. Both are in Babcock's Tales of Quails and such.

Two novels by MN authors: "The Love Hunter" by John Hassler and "Waiting for White Horses" by Nathan Jorgenson are interesting reads that are hunting related.

Hassler and Babcock were both longtime College English Professors, and it shows in the quality of their writings.
hayseed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

fourtown wrote:

Gordon MacQuarrie is my all time favorite. Recently I have been re-reading Havilah Babcock's books, as I have been doing more quail hunting. "Labor Trouble on the Punkin Vine" is a great bird and dog story. I feel "Possum up de 'Simmon Tree" is one of the best hunting stories ever. Both are in Babcock's Tales of Quails and such.

Macquarrie and Babcock; two of my favorites, as well.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

For you waterfowlers -- try this book if you can find one. I have an autographed copy.

Duebbert, Harold F. Wildfowling in Dakota 1873-1903: Old Time Duck and Goose Shooting on the Dakota Prairies, 2003, Windfeather Press
ISBN 10: 096201222X / ISBN 13: 9780962012228

Synopsis: Articles reproduced from "The American Field and Forest and Stream," published in the late 1800s. Written by hunters soon after hunts in the Dakota Territory.

Many stories are from scenes close to where I grew up, but the better part of a century before. You'll be amazed at how they hunted, both the similarities as well as the contrasts, which are mostly due to differences in transportation (roads and railroads), refrigeration, local population, etc.

Thanks for all the good reading recommendations, guys! Just super!

Cheers!
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Max---sounds like a wonderful read, those guys had to be tough back then, transportation, clothing, guns and loads a lot more problematic than today! On the flip side, a hell of a lot more waterfowl though too.....