16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  just keep a HEADS UP
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:27 am  Reply with quote

this is a little off topic , but can apply ! I always NEED to be twirking with loads , and we have had some controversy around Ballistic Prods ... got a hot 28 ga load off the archive and just couldn't resist . 36 grns Lil Gun , sg11 , 3/4 oz ... 10900 psi and 1660 vel . Looks pretty good , but I just can't put THAT much powder in a load . Started at 34 grins and tried a couple - 2 diff field barrels . The loads pulled thru the extractors , cocked the heads and when the grabbed , ejected 30 ft . Now the ballistics MAY be ok , I dp not have a gun (4) tht can handle this abuse . SSOOOO , tried dropping to 30 grns and at least resonable gun performance . Really flung them out there , but reasonable . Now , I have the 1100 (test gun) , a Red Label , a 48 , and a High Std pump , and none of these would be able to handle and function the original loads . The only hazard about dropping the powder charge is that Lil Gun is a touchy powder that doesn't always like lower pressures . so far , so good with the 30grn load . Eventually , this will go to Precision for verification , till then , I don't really need this load .... As you take these sort of things to the 16 , use caution , and it is great when you guys can verify things with your trials . A 16 ga version of my trial would have been bad for your old guns . Hasn't affected my 1100 which was just completely refurbed 2 yrs ago and is virtually new !!

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:23 am  Reply with quote

I've found that long shot is way overstated. I tried some moderate loads in my guns . The guns nearly jumped out of my hands.nive learned to stay away from long shot.
I've foundv20/28 works great for the 16, 20, 28 gauges. 21gr of 20/28 1oz 71/2's claybuster will work from the 16 yard line back to the 40- and he with no problems. I know many trap shooters using 20/28 for their 12 gauges now at th he ata shoots. At least try tim you never no!
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:48 am  Reply with quote

HB , there's tons of reg vel loads that are great , using ANY powders . I like 20/28 ,it is dense , it is also the combo that I fractured my shoulder with using a Herters wad and 7/8 bizz at your powder weight . What I'm getting at here , is that BP has high speed loads that go as high as 50 grns in 16ga loads and I'm telling you , WATCH OUT !! Even if ballistically ok , your gun is gonna CRY !!

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:49 am  Reply with quote

If it sounds wrong consultant with others before using.

Comfort zone of sending off loads and having verification done will answer all of your questions.

Regards Nick

High velocity out of very small bores is difficult , that is why I love the 16 bore large enough to get good velocity , small enough to fit in the hands .

Now if all of these 12 bore SXS' were only 16's 😂
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:13 am  Reply with quote

yeah Nick - there are few HV loads in 28 . And I'm not saying ballistically that this load isn't in specs . However , it would deliver a heavy bang . The gun just doesn't like it . I do have a 1400fps Roster hevi load (that is much politer !!7/Cool . BP has loads in the archive with at least 46 grns of this powder and maybe higher for 16ga. The only gun I'd try that in is my side lever 16 and then only because I have no real LOVE for that ole girl ! Eventually , the 30 grn load will go to Precision for testing , and remember , that's 6 grns less than the published load ! The remedy for the gun if I wanted to go that rt is to plug a bleed off hole in the barrel sleeve along the 1100 12ga 3'' mag lines . We'll see !!

DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
The remedy for the gun if I wanted to go that rt is to plug a bleed off hole in the barrel sleeve along the 1100 12ga 3'' mag lines . We'll see !!

Or you could just leave out the O-ring and let the excess gas vent out the front of the barrel ring. Some trap shooters do this, turning the 1100 into a manually operated single shot!
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:12 am  Reply with quote

DL , have to do this when shooting the 20ga 1187 , as the catcher doesn't work on that gun . Just got to remember to uncap it after shooting and clean/grease the cap . RUST fast ! May try that with the 28 just to see if it works . (The 20 still flings the empties out a good ways even with the seal out - it's that tight !!)

df
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Wasnt exactly clear to me if you got that load off BP or elsewhere. My experience with their loads in 16 ga, is totally unacceptable. I won’t use their data or any reloading.
LongShot has been my go to powder in the 28 ga for many years. I use Hodgkin data.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

df - load was out of Ballistic Prods archive ... not sure what the REAL ballistics are for either pressure or vel , but in a multi system action like an 1100 , this is NOT a balanced load for that system . Even if pressure is ok , it is way too much gas at the action cycle ports . Harsh even at a 6 grain decrease .... here's a similar load of their's for the 16 : Rio/Rio , 50grns Lil Gun ,csd 16 with a filler and a full ounce of shot . 10.5K and 1650 fps . yowser !!! ( from the archive from 2015 ) I need to get the firing pin back in the Stevens for a test shot like that . Pad the gun up like a dog test at the police station !!

Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I used a recipe they gave me for 16 gauge a few years back, can’t remember off hand what it was but after I fired two or three I was afraid of blowing my gun apart. Be very careful with some of their data.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 am  Reply with quote

I used a recipe they gave me for 16 gauge a few years back, can’t remember off hand what it was but after I fired two or three I was afraid of blowing my gun apart. Be very careful with some of their data.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:14 am  Reply with quote

If you notice the back and forth with Nick about high speed stuff , we go VERY light payload and it is still effective . Not much recoil for you or your gun .Like I said above , when you try to do this with full weight loads , things are very stout . May be perfectly fine ballistically , but even the perception is very HARD . Funny thing about the side lever Stevens , Being a single shot , it handles my heavy tests softly !! It is still about the only gun I shoot the super mag out of . Manageable ! I've shot some out of the steel M31 - YOWSER !!