16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  One 16 ga. For all upland hunting?
double trigger
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:45 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
double trigger wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
You own an Husqvarna 310 16ga and you don't use it? Blasphemy. Those are great guns.

Man, instead of spending $1500 on a new gun, I would send that off to Briley and have chokes put in it, or open it to ic/full, and use that for everything that flies. Done.

Hi - good point, and I have definitely thought about your suggestion. My wife would definitely concur about NOT buying another gun Smile . In all seriousness, I am of Swedish descent and the Husky means alot to me. I tend to think of it as more fragile and not an every day carry, but it is in great shape and I doubt very seriously it is fragile - if the right ammo is used.

BTW, several years ago when I acquired it I did have the chokes opened up a bit so it is ready for hunting!

FWIW, I'm of Swedish descent too, and I've owned a LOT of Husky's, everything from 1880's damascus hammer guns to newer 310's blne's. I'm bidding on a bunch of hammer guns right now actually. If there's one word I would never use to describe Husky's, it would be fragile. They are stout, solid, working man's guns, many based on German Sauer designs. They are definitely meant to be used.

Thanks for that reassurance on the Husky’s - you have motivated me to start hunting with mine. It looks like there is good ammo readily available with the RST’s.

BTW I was actually in Sweden this last summer on a family trip. It made me think of what Husky’s might be lurking around. We were mainly in the Stockholm area and it does seem to be very gun-friendly Embarassed .

Interestingly prior to Sweden we did a bike across the Denmark countryside. The agricultural areas were very game bird friendly and we saw pheasants, and they are hunted there.
double trigger
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:51 am  Reply with quote

Regarding the Uggies, they are great guns! I’ve owned 3 of them - 2 AOC/SG guns (a 16 and a 20), and a Parker Hale 12. I wish I had held onto the AOC 16, but you know how that goes....
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:55 am  Reply with quote

Regarding the OP; the one that gets to your shoulder in a snap and shoots where you're looking without hesitation. Mine are a customized 11-48 (AKA; Brushhog) or slightly modified Citori Upland Special or looking foreword to dialing in my new to me Ranger 103.11 (Marin 90)

Hint; practice low gun and have the puller pull any combination of bird on their whim not your call. A frustrating bunch of fun that will tell you right quick if the gun fits or not.

Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/holland-holland/side-by-side/16-gauge/180912105913001

And, they go up from there to about 86,000 quid
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Putz. Beauty is found in performance, mostly by the shooter. Along with the high end Hollands and Purdys the list of 16 ga. SxSs available in the UK start with the Baikal at 125 Quid.

I'm sure a competent shooter wouldn't actually shoot 688 time as many birds with a top end H&H over poor little Traktor Girl.

Last edited by Carlos on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:07 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted.

Last edited by Carlos on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:54 am  Reply with quote

I'm with Putzie on this one ... with the advances we've been making with bizz , I just can't look past my 48 sportsman - 26'' IC (aka , PINK PANTHER ) . Or , it's little sister , the 28ga 48 sportsman .

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

double trigger wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
double trigger wrote:
UncleDanFan wrote:
You own an Husqvarna 310 16ga and you don't use it? Blasphemy. Those are great guns.

Man, instead of spending $1500 on a new gun, I would send that off to Briley and have chokes put in it, or open it to ic/full, and use that for everything that flies. Done.

Hi - good point, and I have definitely thought about your suggestion. My wife would definitely concur about NOT buying another gun Smile . In all seriousness, I am of Swedish descent and the Husky means alot to me. I tend to think of it as more fragile and not an every day carry, but it is in great shape and I doubt very seriously it is fragile - if the right ammo is used.

BTW, several years ago when I acquired it I did have the chokes opened up a bit so it is ready for hunting!

FWIW, I'm of Swedish descent too, and I've owned a LOT of Husky's, everything from 1880's damascus hammer guns to newer 310's blne's. I'm bidding on a bunch of hammer guns right now actually. If there's one word I would never use to describe Husky's, it would be fragile. They are stout, solid, working man's guns, many based on German Sauer designs. They are definitely meant to be used.

Thanks for that reassurance on the Husky’s - you have motivated me to start hunting with mine. It looks like there is good ammo readily available with the RST’s.

BTW I was actually in Sweden this last summer on a family trip. It made me think of what Husky’s might be lurking around. We were mainly in the Stockholm area and it does seem to be very gun-friendly Embarassed .

Interestingly prior to Sweden we did a bike across the Denmark countryside. The agricultural areas were very game bird friendly and we saw pheasants, and they are hunted there.

Oh my, that sounds like a wonderful time! I have relatives in Stockholm but I've never been there. Would love to visit that part of the world, and go visit the Husky factory in, where else, Husqvarna, Sweden. I looked it up online. Neat place!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
wildweasel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:24 am  Reply with quote

With a lot said on the topic already....I think some folks have added the Browning Citori 16 as a great all purpose 16ga gun. I have a 16ga Citori Lightning Feather that is maybe just under 7 lbs., has 28in bbls and I have a full set of trulock choke tubes for it. I can shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays and hunt any upland critter with that thing and it shoots awesome. Has a little kick since it's light. As for sporting clays, it's a killer. Sure, you can drag a 12ga around on a clay course to splatter targets, but it's nowhere near as graceful and fun as that little 16.
chilly460
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Been carrying the A5 Sweet Sixteen new edition a bit lately and I’m really starting to love it. Points well, lighter than my 525, and the 26” barrel and long receiver somehow make this a great combo for crossing birds for me
mart
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

At one time I had five 16 gauge shotguns but have pared down to 3 and one of those will probably go up for sale soon. I had a 1953 Sweet 16, a Beretta SxS 16, a model 12, a 1938 model 37 Skeet and a 28" Browning Citori Lightning. I still have the two pumps and the Citori. I'm going to keep the Ithaca and and the Browning.

I don't get to do as much upland hunting as I'd like. Alaska winters settle in early and make bird hunting a bit more challenging. Shoot, just darn difficult to be honest. The last two years my out of state upland hunting trips got cancelled for health reasons. Father one year, wife the next.

I could be happy with either the Ithaca or the Browning the rest of my life for bird hunting. I'd hate to have to chose between them though.
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

I myself will use either my 1936 Ithaca NID or my 1935 Fox Sterlingworth. They fit and break targets.

I don't see the problem of recoil with these guns and large loads. I was raised on a 870 Wingmaster with 1 1/2 oz. loads out of a 12 bore. 1 1/8 oz. out of a 16 is not bad. Sure, a little more thump, but not something that will make me scream 'Momma'.

And the rain bit!?? Are you all worried about some rain on your old guns? My wood gets Pledge wax on it and the metal gets Barricade. All of my weapons get this treatment. My Ruger M77 has not seen a drop of oil on it's metal in 10 years, and still bright blue with no rust.

I understand that some people like and shoot certain types of guns better than others. Heck, I shoot an O/U better than my SxS guns right now, but for lightness, handling, and feel between the hands and sheer beauty.....the SxS beats them all.

Now if you NEED more than two shots at game.........

We won't go there.

Sorry

My vote is for an American Classic double of your choice.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore