16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Grouse Along the Tramroad - GBE at his best!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

If you have never read Grouse along the Tramroad by GBE you have missed some fine writing about Grouse hunting when there was a decently high Grouse population in WVa and Penn.

His Ryman/Old Hemlock dogs come to life in his accounts of his actual Grouse hunts. Having walked his Tramroad with him & my Grandfather in the 50's & 60's his accounts of Grouse hunting bring back incredible memories of fantastic dogs and traditional Grouse hunting with fantastic double guns.

GBE's Ryman dogs pointed lots of Grouse for him along that Tramroad, and because GBE did not have a gun that actually fit him correctly until he was older, George missed a lot of Grouse shots that the boys in our family would have lost sleep over.

The beautiful Purdey 12 gauge that Dr Norris had left to GBE after his death in 1961 had a length of pull way to short for George, he finally did have the stock remade for the gun to properly fit him. After that he killed a lot more Grouse and Pheasants also.

My Grandfather had talked George into restocking his 12 Gauge Sterlingworth, a few years prior to receiving his Purdey. GBE actually shot his restocked Fox pretty darn well, and I watched my Grandfather complement him on his Grouse gunning on one of our walks up the Tramroad. Something my Grandfather seldom did. GBE was quite happy that he had received such a complement, from a Grouse gunner like my Grandfather. George Ryman was the only other man besides Ken Davies and my Father, that could shoot Grouse like my Grandfather, and GBE knew it. Later after my Grandfather had passed away GBE told me that my Grandfathers complement to him on his Grouse gunning, was one of his most treasured memories.

If you happen to like hunting Grouse, GBE does a great job of putting into words the true stories of Grouse hunting along the Tramroad with his fantastic Ryman dogs.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

GBE & his outstanding Grouse Dog Ruff with a brace of Grouse at my Grandfathers place long ago.

Pine Creek Ryman Daisy & me with her brother, on a Pa Grouse hunt.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers