16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Paper hull tore off, stuck, in Mec 600 final crimp die.
8mmFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:11 am  Reply with quote

Hope everyone is starting the weekend off well. My son was reloading some 12-gauge skeet rounds, worked a paper hull into the mix (we’re not particular about low-pressure skeet loads, and we often throw the odd hull into the lineup), and the paper part of the hull tore off the base in the final crimp die. It’s stuck up in the die with the wad full of shot, so it’s wedged in there tighter than heck.

Any ideas on how to get it out? Mec is closed today (Saturday) so I can’t call them. I confess I can’t even figure out how to get the die off of the press to work on it in a vice - the locking nut does not seem to release the die.

I can get the entire press to Mec later this week, but would like to avoid that if I can.

Thanks,

8mmFan
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:45 am  Reply with quote

Take the die off the press. Get one of those Olfa razor knives with the snap-off "points" or edges -- the kind that work well for wall-papering, etc -- the blades are only about 3/8 inch wide. Reach up inside the die with that knife and carefully cut through about an inch or so of the stuck hull. Do not cut into or scratch the die. Take an awl or a small screwdriver and pick up the edge of the hull near the cut and then use a needle nose pliers to pull it out.

Then contemplate why this happened: 1) Probably the hull was burnt through near the brass. and/or 2) Your crimp die was rusty if it was the chrome-plated steel type, or just plain dirty, or the hull was dirty if the crimp die was the plastic one. In any event clean up the die before re-installing it. If it is a steel die, chuck a rod with a slot or some feature to hold some 000 steel wool into your 1/4 inch drill and polish it up. Do not polish the black plastic dies. Do not oil or lubricate either die whether it is steel or plastic. Keep the dies dry and clean. Do not load a dirty hull or a worn out one.
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:56 am  Reply with quote

Glad it happened in the press and not the gun. Working remotely and from memory so can't look at my presses but think this should help. Pretty sure to get the die off, the crimp ram needs to unthread and slide out before the housing can come off. If you crack the jam/lock nut and unthread the crimp ram it should act as a jack screw to push the cork out of the bottle enough to get some pliers on the wad or hull. A small punch LIGHTLY tapping on loosened ram might help too OR, try getting a drywall to wood screw with aggressive threads and twist it up into the soft plastic wad through the primer relief hole while holding the stuck shell against the platen then should be able to use the charging handle to pull the wad out then some small needlenose pliers should help the situation as well.

Best of luck with it.....

8mmFan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:44 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys. Hopefully later this afternoon I’ll have some time to get to this, and try your suggestions. Yes: I’m glad it didn’t happen in any of my shotguns, especially a repeater.

8mmFan