16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  WVa Grouse season open till the 29th of Feb
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

WVa Grouse season is still open, anybody been out and how is the bird contact?

With a couple of new pups I was thinking I might get them a little bird contact.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:22 am  Reply with quote

I had no idea that W. Va went that late. I've got friends that own a condo/home there they use for the ski season (not far from that rather infamous hotel, the Greenbrier). Good to know.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:18 am  Reply with quote

NY till the 28th but the snow is crusty and too deep. Maybe it will melt before then. Glad you are feeling better Dave
tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:59 am  Reply with quote

The real world of terrain and weather make the remaining areas holding ruffed grouse in WV to be more ethically open to pursuing the bird at a time when the bird's own reality in the central Appalachians is at the toughest point.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I by no means wanted to start a conversation about the effects of late season Grouse hunting. Having a couple young Grouse pups that need some introduction to both habitat and Grouse scent I was hoping somebody had some information on the Grouse numbers and the conditions in WVa.

I have not been down in the last couple years to see how things were shaping up. Having done a lot of hunting in the WVU area, which is not all that far from our Laurel mountain coverts, I was wondering if the purchase of a WVa license would be worth it this year or not.

Having shot a lot of Grouse in the past around the Grear Mountain I have fond memories of both my Gordon and Ryman Setters making dual points on 6 or 8 Grouse at a time. The new pups would definitely benefit greatly, training in the same manner.

It is my understanding as of this point that the WVa Grouse population is way down compared to what it use to be years ago. Was hoping somebody had some up to date information as to Grouse numbers in WVa. Not being able to make a trip to Potter County, Pa right now, I was thinking about a trip to WVa, just for the dog training. The pups are to young to do any shooting over at this time, however they do need to get out in the Grouse woods and have some bird contact.

Pine Creek/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

tramroad28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

One does not have to shoot a ruffed grouse...to kill it. Idea

I would suggest looking for ruffed grouse within the Loop Road at Canaan or between the deer leased lands adjacent to Mt. Storm and the valley proper.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

tramroad28,

Thank you sir for the suggestion.

Soggy socks,

For many years I got a NY hunting license so I could Grouse hunt when the Pa season ended. You can throw a stone and be in the western NY mountains from my place in Potter/Tioga county, Pa. Have not purchased one lately due to the gun control laws in NY. I carry my hand gun as I Grouse hunt, NY needs to clean up it's act. Hopefully the US Supreme Court will end the unconstitutional NY gun control laws in the near future, and I will again purchase a NY hunting license.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:01 am  Reply with quote

I remember reading a few years ago that studies were being done on the diminishing grouse populations in Pennsylvania. At that time, avian flu was the suspected culprit. Lots of pet theories were being fired about over on the "other" web page. Everything from over-hunting, loss of habitat, and even increased turkey populations were being examined to try to explain the diminished numbers of grouse in their historic range. Was there ever a final conclusion to those efforts by Pennsylvania's Department of Wildlife or was it yet another boondoggle? Another theory I've heard was the use of nicotine-based pesticides

I'm guessing that both West Virginia and New York have seen the same diminishing numbers?

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

The WNV study is still on going in Pa and other states, however Bill Palmer our long time Grouse biologist for the Pa Game Commission advised the PGC that all that needed to be done was proper forest management and some predator control and Pa would regain it's Grouse population in a short time period. Unfortunately little has been done to assure a great Grouse population. At this time our southern tier here in Pa, from Ohio clear thru to NJ is in jeopardy. Politics is a nasty entity here in Pa and is killing more Grouse than any hunter ever could. Without the proper habitat our Grouse population will continue to shrink.

We do have good forest management on the northern tier and a stable Grouse population, the WNV has effected the birds and they are developing a natural immunity to it. We still have a massive avian predator problem that nobody wants to address.

Pine Creek/Dave

Northern tier Grouse habitat in Pa.

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:35 am  Reply with quote

Agree with you Dave, NY is over the top on gun rights. I'm fortunate that because I'm a retired LEO I can carry there. I rarely carry a pistol when I'm bird hunting but I do everywhere else I go. Got to be a habit and I feel funny without it. Joe
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Soggy Socks,

Joe I am much the same and I also carry when I hunt, I do hope the US Supreme Court takes all the different violating states to task on the meaning of the 2nd Amendment. The Bill of Rights is universal thru out the USA. No city or state has the right to counter act the US Constitution or charge money to use your Constitutional rights. It is Unconstitutional to license a Constitutional Right.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 am  Reply with quote

This upcoming election will likely determine just how all of that will work going forward. Choose wisely.