16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Powder Migration? and another problem with Fiocchi hulls
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Top cat is right. I've use .615 for years and never had a problem. Even in cold weather. Also I've had fio. primers fire when many others would not. I believe when the primer companies made the switch from copper to steel over the anvil that the steel was to hard. Later the manufactures remedy final got the steel softer over the anvil and less problems.
I still shoot the 615 but not as much cause I can get others cheaper now thru the gun clubs.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Longshot is leaky stuff. I do know it sifts past the SP 16 and WAA 16 wads in straight wall cases. Not sure about the Z16, but you can check it very easily. One method is to put a loaded round or two in you front pocket, heavy end down (naturally tends to turn that way anyhow) and go for a hike. After the hike, hold the shell up to a bright light (I use a led flashlight against the back of the hull) and look through the hull. Empty space where the wad cushion is should let light through, try it with a shell that hasn't had a chance to leak and see what I mean. After powder builds up in the cushion section, it will block out light.

I have also cut a the tube off a hull, stuffed a wad inside (it may just fall through to the crimp), and put some powder in then tapped/ shook the tube gently to see if the powder leaks past the wad. Some folks say a tight crip will stop this (due to "bridging" of powder flakes) but my experience is that it does not.

If you do have leakage, there are several solutions:
1) use a powder like 800-X instead
2) pre-flare the obturating (powder) cup on the wad (I do this with WAA 16's)
3) use WW CF or Rem hulls
4) find a wad with a larger cup diameter
5) some have used a card wad under the plastic wad

I have still experienced occasional mild leakage using Longshot in RGL hulls with the SP 16 wad (not pre flared).

The pre flare option is my favorite with Longshot and WAA wads in straight cases. It doesn't work as well with Rem SP 16 wads since the powder cup is very shallow and won't take as much of a flare. I have to flare SP 10's when loading Longshot in my 2 7/8" 10 ga. hulls and it barely stops the leakage ion I flare them real well.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:46 pm  Reply with quote

I never had a problem with 615 or 616 primers. Just used them for what hulls they fit.