16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Carries like a 28, hits like a 16...
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

As those of you who follow hammer guns know, finding 16 jones underlever round body back action hammer 16's that are not priced in the stratosphere is like finding angel poop. I just picked up this no name Belgian 29" 16 for very little and frankly, really wasn't expecting much. When it arrived however, I was blown away. This gun is TINY. Easily the smallest 16 I've ever held. It feels like a 28 in my hands, and after taping an old silvers pad I had lying around on the stock, it weighs a whopping 5lbs 11oz. With the pad. 5.9 without. With 29" barrels. That's a full pound lighter than my Lefever thumb push 16. It has perfect dimensions, excellent mechanically, fits like a glove, and is lightning quick. I think I just found my dream chukar gun.

The only downside is the twist barrels have heavy corrosion in the bores, so I'll be finding a set of fluid steel donor barrels and having them fitted and installed with Briley's (if anyone has a donor parts gun with good barrels/bores that would be a good candidate, let me know). I'm going all in on this one with a full restoration. I've always wanted to do a custom "bird gun" with large full coverage flushing huns and chukars painted on the stock. This would be the perfect candidate. These little round body hammer guns really do epitomize the sweetness of the 16. Woohoo!!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:52 am  Reply with quote

This should be fun to watch; ya done yet?

Is sleeving the barrels a possibility?

Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 am  Reply with quote

You converted me to the joys of the round body back action hammerguns a long time ago Mark. Very Happy Very Happy A delight to carry with their slim, petite frame and add to that a pair of elegant hammers and you have quite possibly the most beautiful gun ever made. Of course that is just the humble opinion of a hopelessly addicted hammergun nut. Laughing

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:07 am  Reply with quote

putz463 wrote:
This should be fun to watch; ya done yet?

Is sleeving the barrels a possibility?

Not quite yet. Laughing

Sleeving is a possiblity, but would cost 2-3k. Fitting a donor set would be $200-$1k depending on how close they are to the original. I can re-blue them myself. The problem I'm finding is most of the donor guns I'm looking at have rib extensions, with the extractor that slides on a little channel on the extension, and this gun does not.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:11 am  Reply with quote

Rick Grimes wrote:
You converted me to the joys of the round body back action hammerguns a long time ago Mark. Very Happy Very Happy A delight to carry with their slim, petite frame and add to that a pair of elegant hammers and you have quite possibly the most beautiful gun ever made. Of course that is just the humble opinion of a hopelessly addicted hammergun nut. Laughing

I agree Rick. I still love my Lefevers for their elegance and engineering and shooting qualities, but they don't carry like these little round body guns. I passed on a 16 Husky 51 round body hammer gun this week, because of the sleekness, elegance, and daintiness of this gun. Straight grip, jones underlever, the works. Yes please. Very Happy

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I found a slick little 16 ga. hammerless gun that weighs only 5 1/4 lbs for a price I was willing to pay, then noticed that abysmal swamped rib! I hate a swamped/ sunken rib. Deal breaker darn it.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:50 am  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I found a slick little 16 ga. hammerless gun that weighs only 5 1/4 lbs for a price I was willing to pay, then noticed that abysmal swamped rib! I hate a swamped/ sunken rib. Deal breaker darn it.

Yeah, sometimes there's a price to pay for that ultra light weight. Too bad.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I just spoke to my gunsmith, and it looks like sleeving is really the only way forward with this gun, which would run about $2k, and I would still need to do all the wood work and get it re-case colored. That's a big investment in $ and time, but it would be an amazing little chukar gun with 27.5" steel barrels that I bought for it that are in excellent shape, choked ic/f, with mirror bores. Completely re-done, sleeved, ribs re-laid, barrels regulated, re-cased, with beautiful wood, custom art and custom checkering, this would be a great little gun, but it has money pit written all over it. Dang it. Rolling Eyes