16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  High brass/Low brass
3birddogs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 am  Reply with quote

Question: A friend called, he was loading 2 1/2" 16 hulls and had a mix of high brass and low brass once fired RST hulls--as I have never seen "brass size" listed in any recipie, I think you can load them all the same--what say you?

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:38 am  Reply with quote

In regards to RST hulls........The short answer is yes they all load the same, the height of the metal head has nothing to do with the basewad height.

Any RST hull that I have seen was actually made by Cheddite. Use Cheddite data.

old colonel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:21 am  Reply with quote

Concur

Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am  Reply with quote

Yup, they’re Cheddite hulls and are all the same.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

"High brass/low brass" were just marketing schemes to convince hunters that "high brass" ammo was more potent than it's lowly low-brass variety.
Just as an example - I have five compression-formed Winchester hull varieties from over the years, and there is zero difference in the case capacity.
Hamishtheirishamish
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

High brass was a carry over from the paper hull days, in plastic, as Roadkill says, it's all a marketing game. Personally, I dislike messing with high brass as its more work in the 16 and 20 on the 600.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I disagree from a reloading standpoint. High brass is less likely to expand and I can usually get more reloads out of the higher brass. I’m sure some will disagree. And a lot of times the plastic splits on either after several reloads, especially with cheap plastic. Now maybe I should of said higher brass, (actually it’s not brass anymore) 16mm vs 8mm which neither is really the high brass from the old days. I usually get about 3 reloads out of the cheddite hulls and 6-7 out of the Remington sts hulls.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Please tell me more about the 16 gauge Remington STS hulls. please.

Thank you

Mike

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="skeettx"]Please tell me more about the 16 gauge Remington STS hulls. please.

Thank you
Guess I should have omitted any other gauge since this is 16 exclusively. But I do get more loads out of the Remington 16 ( black) hulls then I do out of the cheddite.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:50 am  Reply with quote

Umm, I could never get more than 2 out of Remington before the crimp shreds plastic gets so brittle after 2 shots the crimp shapes into a point. Makes misery to reload. Cheddite I get 6 to 8 loads and I load 1200 to 1300 fps.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Well, I really like the Remington 16 ga. hull, but if I get 2 or 3 reloads out of them I am lucky. The crimp gets brittle on the initial firing and cracks badly after the 2nd or 3rd reload.

I can easily get 5 plus reloads from Cheddites. I have some Winchester/Cheddites that are still in great shape with over 7 firings on them....no cracks or pinholes at the crimp.

As far as the height of the metal head goes, that has never had any influence on the reloading life of a hull. Since I use machines that have collets for resizing, the height of the brass is a non-issue.

My favorite 16 ga. hull is the Federal.

YMMV

3birddogs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:26 am  Reply with quote

Rem game loads, black RGL's, are often brittle and cracked on their initial firing.
I have a bag of them 3-400, that I haven't reloaded just cause I hate to mess with adjusting the crimps. I load all 2 1/2" RST/cheddite hulls these days. I stil have 4-5 cases of new RGL's.
For reloads with the RGL's, I like the 7/8 oz load using 15.5gr 20/28, DR16, Win209.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Just curious what are you guys firing the Remington’s out of?
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Remington 1100, 870, Citori and a Hunter Arms Hunter Special. It really doesn't matter which shotgun I use, maybe 2 reloads from a black 16 ga Remington hull.

Mostly using either 7/8 or 1 oz. loads and Universal powder, sometimes Unique. Nothing special, velocity from 1250 to 1300.....pretty standard stuff.

You are the first person I know of getting more reloads from Remington hulls than Cheddite hulls......and I load the Cheddite hulls hotter than I do the Remington hulls.

Some of the Remington hulls crack at the crimp when they are fired as new ammo.

The green Remington hulls do a little better but not much.

I use a lot of my Remington hulls after the 2nd reload for Sporting Clays....... done.

RGuill96971
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Makes me wonder why? I know with the 410 shells I reload the hotter they are the shorter the life, and I shoot them out of o/u. I have never had any of the black Remington hulls split on first fire, factory shells. I am on the 4th reload on the current batch. I’ve been loading RST the last couple days and last night was my 3rd reload and half of them were split. I am using universal powder in the RST shells. I shoot them out of A5. The pressure is in the 7000-8000 range. Fps is around 1125-1150.
What reloader are you using. I still use the old 600jr mark v. I do use the geap pre crimp and finish crimp.